Page 346 of 346 FirstFirst ... 246296336344345346
Results 3,451 to 3,456 of 3456

Thread: Shop Made Tools

Quote Originally Posted by J Harp View Post
    I thought luan too, but the color doesn't look just right in the picture. That may be an effect of the lighting.

Max, if you have a sizeable scrap of the wood left could you post head-on picture of the side of the board?

Luan often shows strange looking changes in the grain pattern, hard to describe but it looks as if the grain just suddenly takes off in a different direction. I'll see if I can get a picture of that effect to Post with tapatalk. That is if I can remember how
    I think I understand what you're saying about the odd grain direction, and if so then this stuff does seem to have that. I think most of the color difference in the photos is due to the oil I had just applied. In the days since, it has settled down and lost a little bit of the reddish hue. Not exactly sure which angle you wanted, so I tossed a little unlisted video clip up on my YT channel: https://youtu.be/laq4CZ1fh7M

Yep, that looks a lot like luan to me. The grain pattern I mentioned will sometimes almost look like two pieces of wood glued together, but it's really only one piece.
    I can't see that effect in your video. I know I have some scraps that showed it, but they are hiding out, I'll probably find them when I'm not looking for them.
    Jim

Quick and dirty boring head for mill:

I still have to turn suitable W12 arbor if I plan to use that on my tiny F1 Aciera.
    Might actually cut the boring head from 50mm to 30mm or so as it is ridiculously large compared to rest of the mill.
    Last edited by MattiJ; 12-02-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Ah, I see. It makes sense now. The part that looked like layout fluid had run is a relief slit for the clamp.
    Does it just use one tooth of the end mill as the cutting edge rather than a lathe-style tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Cenedd View Post
    Ah, I see. It makes sense now. The part that looked like layout fluid had run is a relief slit for the clamp.
    Does it just use one tooth of the end mill as the cutting edge rather than a lathe-style tool?
    Yes, it uses only one teeth of scrapped end mill. Usually there is at least one good tooth left on my carbide endmills.. Or just sharpen new edge to it.
    Carbide endmills should be pretty rigid and allow me to use quite large hangout even if its just a 6mm shank.

I actually angled the boring bar mounting holes so that they are angled outwards at couple of degrees so I can use old endmill without any grinding as a boring bar and still have clearance angle behind cutting edge.

That looks like yet another neat little toy for me to make thanks for the share .......