Page 350 of 351 FirstFirst ... 250300340348349350351 LastLast
Results 3,491 to 3,500 of 3506

Thread: Shop Made Tools

  1. #3491
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Can you give a link or more exact description of inserts?
    From ebay, the link no longer works but this is a picture from the confirmation email


    The seller no longer has anything for sale
    https://www.ebay.com/usr/eddiestore2008?ul_noapp=true

    The shank on this almost makes it too big for my lathe, but it's the thickest shank of anything of my tools, probably helps.

  2. #3492
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Watford, UK
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
    The shank on this almost makes it too big for my lathe, but it's the thickest shank of anything of my tools, probably helps.
    I've seen WNMGs used in videos but I was always put off by people saying they were only suitable for much higher power lathes. What sort of horse power are you pushing on yours with good results?

  3. #3493
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    324

    Default

    This is my lathe, Rexvalter VF118. 118 mm x 600 mm (4 5/8-inch centre height by 2 35/8-inches between-centres), 1.1 HP 3-phase motor:
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/rexvalter/

  4. #3494
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Watford, UK
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
    This is my lathe, Rexvalter VF118. 118 mm x 600 mm (4 5/8-inch centre height by 2 35/8-inches between-centres), 1.1 HP 3-phase motor:
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/rexvalter/
    Very nice. 1950's pictures at the top were going to get me to comment that they don't make them like they used to - where how it looked was an important part of the design. Then I scrolled down and say that by the 70's they'd gone boxy like the current stuff. Nothing good-looking comes from the 70's.....just ask my wife!
    I'm running an import Sieg SC4 which is spec'd for about 1.3HP (1000W brushless DC) so I might have to give those a try - at worst, 6 edges per insert is better than 2!

  5. #3495
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland, Europe
    Posts
    3,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenedd View Post
    I've seen WNMGs used in videos but I was always put off by people saying they were only suitable for much higher power lathes. What sort of horse power are you pushing on yours with good results?
    Nose radius gives usually good hints if the insert is suited for small cuts in low power lathe. WNMG0804-04 is 0,4mm nose radius, about as small as you want for steel turning in smallish lathe.

    And these are razor sharp, takes easily 0.01mm cut and works even on a hand-cranked lathe if you want:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-Aluminu...frcectupt=true
    Don't attempt heavy cuts on steel, edge geometry and carbide grade is not suited for that. Weirdly enough same carbide grade works for hard turning HSS if you flatten the top on diamond wheel.
    Last edited by MattiJ; 04-01-2019 at 05:09 AM.

  6. #3496
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Watford, UK
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Nose radius gives usually good hints if the insert is suited for small cuts in low power lathe. WNMG0804-04 is 0,4mm nose radius, about as small as you want for steel turning in smallish lathe.

    And these are razor sharp, takes easily 0.01mm cut and works even on a hand-cranked lathe if you want:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-Aluminu...frcectupt=true
    Don't attempt heavy cuts on steel, edge geometry and carbide grade is not suited for that. Weirdly enough same carbide grade works for hard turning HSS if you flatten the top on diamond wheel.
    Thanks Matt. A heavy cut for me would be about 0.5mm DoC and if I remember correctly (and that's debatable!) I was doing that without issues with an aluminium profile CCGT in 304 stainless for a better finish over the blunter CCMTs. I think I can fit up to about 13mm (so 12mm nominal) in my QCT holders so I can either just mill down the shank of a 20mm or 16mm tool or I could go larger (say 25mm) and try to cut a dovetail directly into the shank. Got any opinions on which is best?

    Also, all the tools I've used so far have had the insert screw in - with the tiny csk hex screws that are so easy to lose, cost an unreasonable amount and are sufficiently different in the head profile from what you can bulk buy that I suspect makes them incompatible. All the holders for WNMGs (talking import market here) are a screwed in shim and then a clamped insert. I've always assumed (perhaps wrongly) that a clamp was an inferior means of securing the insert. In this case the shim's screw locates the insert so, am I wrong about clamp style or should I be looking for something that screws the insert in instead?
    This is what I was looking at: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192783996636

  7. #3497
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland, Europe
    Posts
    3,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenedd View Post

    Also, all the tools I've used so far have had the insert screw in - with the tiny csk hex screws that are so easy to lose, cost an unreasonable amount and are sufficiently different in the head profile from what you can bulk buy that I suspect makes them incompatible. All the holders for WNMGs (talking import market here) are a screwed in shim and then a clamped insert. I've always assumed (perhaps wrongly) that a clamp was an inferior means of securing the insert. In this case the shim's screw locates the insert so, am I wrong about clamp style or should I be looking for something that screws the insert in instead?
    This is what I was looking at: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192783996636
    Quite opposite, most "heavy duty" insert holders use clamp+pin. (probably more suited for double sided inserts too)

    And inserts screws are cheaply available from ebay, buy a bunch of all the sizes you have and you don't need to dig chip bin for half an hour! M2.5 and M3.5 sizes get you long way with DCMT and CCMT inserts.
    Search for "insert torx screw"
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-Ins...0bf966c2895500

    0.13 per piece, quality has been so far more than good enough for home shop use.
    Last edited by MattiJ; 04-01-2019 at 06:26 AM.

  8. #3498
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Watford, UK
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Thanks Matt. Good to know.
    I'd found some M2.5 torx screws in a previous hunt but the profile of the countersunk head was different enough that it might pull through the insert - slightly smaller and shallower angle. Shall feed my eBay habit and stock up.

  9. #3499
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gary hart View Post
    Propane melting furnace made from 5 gallon propane tank. Intake air to burner passes thru exhaust port to prehead the air to the burner.


    There is a ratchet lift up device that pushes the crucible up from the bottom. High enough to grab the crucible but not too hign so it can tip.

    Pouring tongs slips over top of crucible latches in closed postion for lifting and pouring.





    do you have design and build instructions for these???

  10. #3500
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,392

    Default

    I had a pleasant afternoon getting to better know my shaper. Solved a couple of cutter shaping issues and ground a shear cutting tool that leaves a surface which is nigh on as good as a well polished 400 grit sandpaper finish.

    The project in mind was the mill vise clamps shown in the second of the two pictures below. The first is the final step before bandsawing the two clamps apart and shear cutting the sawn faces to finish the clamps.

    The shaper is running in the first picture and I used the flash to stop the action. But you can see the smoke from the cutting oil while I remove a .04" pass. And yes I know it is a clunky setup with the second toolmaker's vise held in the mill vise. But the spacing of the vise hold down lugs does not match the spacing of the T slots of the table so mounting the mill vise like this is the only way I can mount it And it's only for the generous chamfer on the outer corners.

    The chips were burly things looking like little fiddleheads with these heavier cuts. Oh, I know that it's nothing compared to the big blue chips that can be done with a larger shaper. But the little Alba by Elliot performed well today. And I learned a lot more about using the shaper.



    Last edited by BCRider; 06-13-2019 at 02:02 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •