Page 64 of 357 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Made Tools

Here's a rack for my mill tooling that I finished today. It mounts on the back of the ram by the lifting eye hole.

My shop made fly cutter is in the background of the second pic. I'll post pics of that later

Quote Originally Posted by hornluv
    Here's a rack for my mill tooling that I finished today. It mounts on the back of the ram by the lifting eye hole.

My shop made fly cutter is in the background of the second pic. I'll post pics of that later
    Interesting tooling rack. First time I've seen that approach.

How about pics of tools you use to make your horns?

Clutch

Here is a draw bar hammer I made. I used a 3/4" deep socket as the base of it. I machined a square on the brass insert and pressed it into the square on the socket. I then made a steel insert to take up all the empty space in the middle of the socket so I would have something to tap into. Drilled and tapped to 1/2-20 (The socket was hard-ish, but softer than I expected). Turned and knurled an Aluminum handle to fit and voila! Now I can loosen and tap in one fell swoop. Soon the world will be mine, mwahahaha!

Clutch, I've got some pics of my Horn making tools someplace. I'll see if I can find them.

Nice job on the hammer there ... gotta make me one of those!

Default My thanks to Frank Ford

I like his web site especially his Delta Band saw.

I made his gravity pull and his metal feed projects.

I put a 15lbs. brick of lead on the end of a wire rope, guided by a pulley.

cuts nice and true and I don't have to sit around pushing the metal through the blade.

Rob

After the cut:

Gravity Pull mechanism:

Metal guide:

I am new to milling and needed to put a hex on the end of a shaft. I do not have a rotary index table or dividing head and this is what i came up with, i got the inspiration from Evans how to to build and indexable end mill thread.
    I had a large nut that i bored the inside to .001" under the shaft size, faced the nut on one side to be square with the bore, then split the nut with a hack saw. Now i can use a screw driver to spread the nut and slide it on the shaft, this way it " clamps " to the shaft so you don't loose the position when rotating in the mill vice and the faced side of the nut can sit on parallels.

Keep em coming guys,,, very nice practical ways around things,

I gotta say that Hornluv's drawbar tightener/hammer is the bomb, I might build something similar instead of trying to use my box end as a hammer and chipping up the top paint on the china hoe...

Even if I just weld a little nub of steel on the side of the box end it would be a vast improvement...
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 08-12-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Since I took a pic of a boring bar for the make your own bar I figured I would put it here so others could get ideas..

I bought a few of the insert cartridges that were different geometry on ebay for less than 15 bucs. I needed to bore some bearing housings that were 8 to 12 inches in dia in the bore.wanted something ridged."rigidity is the key to sucess by the way"..

I had a 3" square bar handy and whittled away till I came up with this. I put in a few holes to mount it for different lengths and i can have 2 studs holding at once.Rigid

jim

Simple as a flat rock,a drill and tap guide.Just a loop of flatbar welded to a threaded rod coupler and milled at 90*.

Comes in handy when multiple threads are to be tapped by hand,also works good for those broke off head bolts that have to be done under the hood.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Very clever indeed! thanks for sharing that tapping hint!...