Page 68 of 193 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Made Tools

Wow, I hadn't checked out these thread in a while. Lots of good stuff. Keep them coming.

My version of the Royal chuck stops. Cut out of 6061 1/2" x 6" plate. Spaced out from the chuck face with SPACE BLOCKS.

Edit: I've faced them. Hopefully they won't warp as thin as I got them in some spots. I'll just have to keep an eye on them.

Last edited by moldmonkey; 11-17-2010 at 09:00 PM.
    Jon Bohlander
    My PM Blog

A fixture for holding small rods, bolts, etc. for cut-off on a vertical saw.

A modular knee tool for my second op lathes. Sorry for the poor second pic. It shows it set up for spotting, facing & OD Chamfering in pull of the handle.

Jon Bohlander
    My PM Blog

A tapping tool for the second op lathes. I wasn't aware of the release & spin style of tools at the time so I made a compression style holder. Works fine as long as you are quick to plug the motor.

Jon Bohlander
    My PM Blog

Good ol' tapping guide

Drip-oiler for parting-off, knurling, etc.

Jon Bohlander
    My PM Blog

Just want you all to know that you all are bastards!

Here I was getting my to-do list down to a size that I would get done before I die, and then there is this thread with lots of great ideas for tools and stuff, some of them I didn't even know I needed.

Thanks Brian for starting the thread and to everyone else for keeping it alive. As soon as I remember to take the camera out to the shop, I'll add a couple of my own tools.

Scott

Chuck stops! That's my very next project! Today I made a cutoff tool holder and a cutoff guide for the toolpost. Tomorrow its the chuck stops in two thicknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by baldysm
    Just want you all to know that you all are bastards!

Here I was getting my to-do list down to a size that I would get done before I die, and then there is this thread with lots of great ideas for tools and stuff, some of them I didn't even know I needed.

Thanks Brian for starting the thread and to everyone else for keeping it alive. As soon as I remember to take the camera out to the shop, I'll add a couple of my own tools.

Scott
    Hi Scott,

You are very welcome.

I hear you on the to-do list thing.

One thing at a time.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

A few pics of this simple project. The morse tapered stop piece with threaded adjustment bar, and the wrench to adjust it-

[IMG][/IMG]

Inserted into the spindle taper-

[IMG][/IMG]

With chuck in place- here it's set to give about 1/2 inch of material in the jaws behind the face of the jaws.

[IMG][/IMG]

The diameter of the face on the adjusting bolt is just under 1/2 inch. There will be another adjusting bolt made if I need it to be a smaller diameter. The bolt is a friction fit, which I got by choosing a galvanized bolt over a chromed one. I polished up the bolt so it wouldn't chew up the threads in the pvc piece, and gave it a bit of grease. This was a carriage bolt, chosen to give enough of a head that I could machine it to give me a decent sized flat on the end. I also machined away the squared portion directly behind the head, reducing that diameter to 5/16 for this 3/8 bolt. That way I can screw it right in til it touches the plastic. It goes about as deep as I'll ever need it to, but if I do need it to be deeper, I can just cut off some of the plastic. The threads go in a bit over an inch, and the bore is drilled out from the other end to 3/8. No need to thread it all the way.

I could have simplified this and just used a normal bolt, but I wanted to be able to grip material down to about a half inch. This would have meant turning off the hex on the bolt head, leaving no way to adjust it. Otherwise I could simply have used a socket wrench. An alternative would have been to re-grind a hex head for a smaller socket, but I chose the pin wrench instead. If I need to use a smaller diameter adjusting bolt, I'll be forced to grind a hex onto it so I can adjust it. No way I'm going to cheap out and put a simple slot on the end of it. I hate those slippery flat blade screwdrivers-
    Last edited by darryl; 11-18-2010 at 10:23 PM.

I am sure a lot of people use this but I have not seen it here before. This is a piece of brass or whatever you have in your scrap bin cut to fit the T slots in your mill table. The top end has a countersunk SHCS to lock it in place and a rounded head to insert into the hole in the bottom of most vices. I mount the vice on the brass piece and it makes the vice easier to tap into place when you are tramming. I made the captains wheel or speed wheel because I hate the handles that come w/ vices. The spokes are threaded so you can remove one if they stick up in the wrong place.
    thanks
    ed

Default SouthBend 5C Collet Chuck

I imagined that a 5C collet could be pushed in instead of pulled. In this way, the operator would not need to always be messing with a collet closer on the back end of the lathe.

So here's my try for my SB 13 lathe.

View of the two tapers in the body of the chuck.

Here's a little tool I made to tighten the "closer."

And the tool in the lathe.

Vitória, Brazil