Page 258 of 310 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268308 ... LastLast
Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 3098

Thread: Shop Made Tools

Default Mill Table Collet Mount

Mill Table Collet Mount
    For holding round things vertically. (You can actually buy something like this, but they are not common.)

ER32 collet holder from CTC w 20 mm parallel shank - inexpensive.
    Cut shank off with bi-metal bandsaw blade just behind the end block. Slow - very hard steel.
    Clamp off-cut 20 mm shank in 20 mm collet in collet holder, carefully.
    Put 20 mm shank into lathe chuck and clean off back face with good carbide tip. The swarf came off a bit blue. Recess centre slightly so all support/alignment is at the rim.
    Make groove for clamps with carbide parting off tool - again, a touchy business with this steel.
    The clamps themselves - bits of old angle iron.

Um - so far I cannot upload the d*** picture. I will have to experiment.
    EDIT: Managed. Byzantine method of including photos, I must say!

Cheers
    Roger
    Last edited by rcaffin; 10-20-2016 at 06:34 AM. Reason: add photo

Thanks for posting this, some light bulbs just went off.

The wrench that fit my QCTP's clamp nut was always AWOL so I made a new Tee nut, post, nut, and handle out of some 316 stainless scraps. The plastic knob came from the hardware store. Sure is a lot handier than a wrench, and it's always where it belongs.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Nice, I like that tool post handle. I have the same tool post; the wrench it takes is pretty big, might have to make a handle like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Nice, I like that tool post handle. I have the same tool post; the wrench it takes is pretty big, might have to make a handle like yours.

Thanks, it wasn't too difficult to make. Would have been easier if not for the 316. It's not the friendliest to work with, but will resist rusting from sweaty hands in this climate. Also, I have several buckets of drops that come in handy for this kind of stuff.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

I got hold of a set of metric DIN6388 collets (Oz collets) and I had the back-end of a bell-mouthed camlock chuck so I got a chunk of steel and made a collet chuck for my lathe. I made a front nut that you have to snap the collet into so that it releases the taper when loosened.

Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Wired cordless drill adapted to drive my mill. Does this count as shop made tool?

Four years ago daGrouch posted a shop made level (#1832). I want to fine tune my lathe (Rockwell 11x42) and so it seemed like a good project. Here are some photos.

The level:

My base is made from 1" square cold rolled 1018. After squaring it up I ran a ball mill down each side to make a finger groove. I scraped the bottom until I got a nice blue transfer pattern. This is what it looks like without the blue.

The glass is made from a 10 ml serological pipette. I chose such a pipette because it's nicely graduated and easily replaceable. I bought 50 of them on eBay for $10. I sealed the pointy end, then cut and fire polished it just above the 0 mark on the other end. The brass end pieces were turned and reamed to size, and cross drilled to slide easily on a 10-32 thread. I drilled an filling hole, filed a small flat, tapped the hole for 6-32 and used a screw with a washer to seal the hole. The adjusters are lamp finials Loctite'd onto 10-32 all-thread. I wound the little springs using 0.026 piano wire turned around a 1/4-20 bolt. The washers are nylon washers that had the appropriate curve filed into them so that they would sit nicely on the brass rod.

The pipette is superglued into the brass end pieces. One lesson I learned making this - when using 5 minute epoxy it's a good idea to try to turn the graduations to the top before 5 minutes is up. That happened while I was making version 2. Another lesson - don't put round things on the bench and then bump them towards the edge. That was version 1. The pictures show version 3.

Instead of using butane I decided to go with a non-pressurized liquid. I chose to use ethyl alcohol colored with a little blue dye. I can easily adjust the filling level (and size of the bubble) using a hypodermic needle with a blunted 18 ga. needle.

The saddle in the middle is made from a bit of flat brass that has been grooved to hold a 3/16'ths dowel pin. It is just loose under the glass - the spring of the glass being pulled down holds it nicely in place. If not I would have used a dot of superglue to keep it from moving around. The point of contact between the dowel pin and the glass gives me a good zero point. I'm hoping that the strain won't prove to be too much and the pipette won't break at that point. However, I'm only bending the pipette a few thousandths of an inch and so I think it will last. If not, I still have 47 more pipettes.

The blue is a little intense but I made it dark because it might bleach over time. Either that or I can pull out half the liquid and dilute the color with undyed ethanol. The photos make it look like it's hard to read but in real life it's not so bad.

It's been fun. Now to go level the lathe !!!

Dan

that is really impressive, well done!

Do you have any idea of its resolution, looks like you can make a really delicate measurement