Page 352 of 352 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352
Results 3,511 to 3,515 of 3515

Thread: Shop Made Tools

Nice job on the clamps ATW, welcome to the forum.

Here's a really simple one, nothing special at all except that it's made from a valve stem left over from my Jeep 4.0L engine rebuild.
    It's just a simple 1/8" pin starter punch; I cut the head off the valve then drilled and profiled it to make a punch. The other end of the stem seems to be about the right hardness for a light duty punch. My intent is to make more of these as I need them; 1/8" is what I needed this weekend.

ATW, Welcome to the forum as well! And I gotta say that you did a great job on the hold down clamps.

I hadn't really considered that the little heels would leave a mark on the mill table for my own idea. I'll be watching for that and at the first sign of any issue I think I'll be doing something similar to your idea.

For small angular differences the 1/2 of the spherical washers in a V countersink will work just ducky. But if you really want to use this same setup again in the future perhaps find a larger ball end mill to cut the spherical socket first and buy the "cone" washers in the size of the cutter?

I made a packable tool for chain adjustments on my new motorcycle.

I did not have a 34mm wrench or socket among my tools so I went and picked up a 1/2" drive deep impact socket with a plan to make two tools from one. First step was to cut the deep socket down into a shallow size, then using the cut off ring, I made a wrench to pack on the bike. I turned a stub handle and welded that to the ring, then made a two piece aluminum extension handle for it. I also needed the torx bit for the adjuster bolts and landed on the idea of just adding it to the same tool. I cut down a bit and welded that to the wrench as well. Happy with the outcome I tested it out and was satisfied with a successful chain adjustment. Later I had an idea to incorporate a measuring device into the knurled handle by cutting marks at 10mm spacing for measuring the slack.

I'm installing a Givi tool box to the inside of the left pannier rack so I can carry this wrench and a tire repair tools and such. I also plan to refinish the steel part of the wrench with a fresh black oxide finish. The socket is remaining in my shop for at home adjustment.

Nice job, great idea.