Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popular Mechanics do-it-yourself Encyclopedia

Too_Many_Tools Guest

Default Popular Mechanics do-it-yourself Encyclopedia

I two different sets of the Popular Mechanics do-it-yourself Encyclopedia dated in 1968 and 1979.

Any idea when different sets were published over the years and what the differences are between the sets?

Thanks

TMT

Too_Many_Tools Guest

Doesn't anyone have these books?

My father has a set, but I don't know if there is any difference.

Jeff

I have a 12 volume set from a garage sale, 1955 1st printing.

My guess is, if they are different it'd be because they eliminated things that would be considered dangerous. What was okay to do in 1955 would be far too dangerous for 1979.

Smile

I have a set bought in the early 80`s The reason I bought them was a friend loaned me a set from the mid 50`s the were real good and had all kinds of things you could build out of junk. would love to own that set. So i bought this set I have and they do not have as much build your self stuff in them More how to projects . What they consist of is all the articles printed over the past few years . And I think a new version comes out about every 5 years. The older set were very good . the newer set not as much. In the early days after WW2 people built and invented way to do things with little are nothing but junk . People dont know how to do that any more.

Too_Many_Tools Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lane
    I have a set bought in the early 80`s The reason I bought them was a friend loaned me a set from the mid 50`s the were real good and had all kinds of things you could build out of junk. would love to own that set. So i bought this set I have and they do not have as much build your self stuff in them More how to projects . What they consist of is all the articles printed over the past few years . And I think a new version comes out about every 5 years. The older set were very good . the newer set not as much. In the early days after WW2 people built and invented way to do things with little are nothing but junk . People dont know how to do that any more.
    The Chinese do.

TMT

Quote Originally Posted by lane

Think these are the ones you are looking for, from 1955. Lots around, I got mine at a garage sale and they are fun to read.

http://www.amazon.com/Mechanics-your.../dp/B000JILPXY

This guy would have given them to you free.

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showt...ular+mechanics

i have 3 sets from 1961-1968 and 1979 all a different.

Mine (inherited from my Dad) were published by Mechanix Illustrated as the How-To-Do-It-Encyclopedia in 1961. "Edited by the combined staffs of Mechanix Illustrated, Fawcett Books and Electronics Illustrated." Still has a lot of very good basic how to info.

Too_Many_Tools Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rgbai
    i have 3 sets from 1961-1968 and 1979 all a different.
    Okay...I have the 1968 and 1979 sets and now you mention that a 1961 version exists.

Thanks for confirming that they are different.

It would seem the older the better in terms of metalworking stuff.

TMT