Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay VFDs.

Default Ebay VFDs.

Hi, anyone here bought VFD's from ebay and have any comments on them? the local place wants like $410+ 'with a small inbound freight charge added' (Why do I have to pay freight on an item im picking up localy... BS, And is that pre or post added?) for thier LOWEST end 2hp VFD..

Ebay prices start at about $210 for someone with 99.3% feedback selling them.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VARIABLE-FREQUEN...item35a6260f5c

I know some chinese cheapo high power electronics are compleat junk and won't even last 6 months (1kw lamp ballists, plasma cutters), but how about these VFD's? are they known to be junk or a decent buy for HSM use?

And what exactly features should I look for that might not be standard? (Application is a lathe)
    Like, if it doesnt say it has a breaking resistor/DC injection, does that mean it can't do it? Or are things just so standard they are not worth mentioning?
    Whats this 'Sensorless Vector or V/ Hz' option some of them have?
    Last edited by Black_Moons; 01-26-2010 at 03:40 PM.

I've bought several used VFD's, and generally they were OK, but one -- a Mitsubishi V520 (vector drive) had a bad FET.

So make sure you test a used VFD immediately, within the Paypal "Item Not Received" deadline.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

bought three - all European makes - two off them ABB - all three good no problems all of them cheap. although I I did have to shell out for add on keypad for the ABB to overspeed them all of an extra 30.
    use them to run my lathe, mill, vertical, mill horizontal, shaper, coolant pump, mill feed motors

The price doesn't seem any better than this, for instance. There was also a dealer in NJ at Cabin Fever that had some similarly economical units.

Gary

Never tried that particular no-name brand. Near as I can tell, it is not sensorless vector. Not the end of the world, but all other things being equal, I'd lean toward a vector drive.

At least you know there will be quality instructions:
    Following, please see the item picture firstly, then bases on the picture, I will guid you how to install this VFD
    LOL

Dunno how much more things cost up in Canuckistan, but on this side of the border the Teco EV vector drives are a real good bargain. I've got one and am quite fond of it. Be forewarned, however, that the EV's instructions are on par with your ebay drive. http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=394

Hmm, I do like tools4cheap, bought from him before.. But it looks like you gotta buy 'modules' for all the stuff the other one allready does (rs232, remote inputs/outputs, etc)

Whats the diffrence beween the sensoreless vector and V/hz thing?

The one I posted also lists as having most of the fancy sounding features like DC injection..
    Last edited by Black_Moons; 01-26-2010 at 04:43 PM.

V/Hz just blindly outputs variable voltage and frequency to the motor based on a V/Hz profile you set in the configuration. A flux vector senses back emf from the drive and can compensate at lower frequencies for slip and stuff like that. Vector is nice if you can spring for the few extra bucks.

oh I see theres higher end units on tools4cheap, awsome. Little more costly at $260.. mmm likey another $40 s/h...
    Still, $300 is better then $410 localy.. mmm.
    Tax localy Vs exchange rate = about the same, so its still $300 vs $410.
    Don't know if that local place can make a VFD 25% better...

I assume theres no point in getting a 3hp VFD for a 2hp motor? (from a reliability standpoint)

The problem with Dealers Electric is that they won't/can't ship to Canada - at least that was my experience. Factorymation will do so but by UPS ground only. I have bought three units (FM50's) from the latter and they land for about $200.

If you can get them sent to a US based friend or a drop box then they will both be much cheaper.

Geoff