Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photobucket Virus

Default Photobucket Virus

When I went to access photos I have on Photobucket, I "caught" a virus. I wanted to edit the photos and as soon as I opened the first one, I got a message saying that I have received a virus. The virus deleted my desktop background and changed it to a grey. Then I immediately got a popup ad for a software package that would "fix" the virus if I purchased it for $49.95. I closed the ad and got out of photobucket and ran my Anti-Malware and Spybot programs and they detected and eliminated five “problems”. All the time they were running I keep getting notices that I had a virus and needed to order the software to “eliminate” it.

After a restart of the computer, I was able to rest the desktop background that had be changed. Since I had gotten the virus from Photobucket, I wanted to go into the Photobucket site and delete the pictures that were infected. Now, I can not access the Photobucket site because I get the following error message:

Restricted Site!

There is nothing in my security software to change to re-access the Photbucket site. Any one have any suggestions on what to do?

SIDE BAR
    I’m having suspicions about this site:

The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS

This is the only site on which I posted the pictures in question. Also this site requires the link to the Photobucket to access the pictures. My thinking is that this link was used to gain access to my Photobucket account without having to go through the security login process. If my reasoning is completely faulty, can some please correct it and let me know how my pictures could have be come infected. Thanks.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoy1
    SIDE BAR
    I’m having suspicions about this site:

The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS

This is the only site on which I posted the pictures in question. Also this site requires the link to the Photobucket to access the pictures. My thinking is that this link was used to gain access to my Photobucket account without having to go through the security login process. If my reasoning is completely faulty, can some please correct it and let me know how my pictures could have be come infected. Thanks.
    This is impossible. You have a virus because you have Windows and it is very easy to attach a virus to Windows.

The infestation you see could have been picked up any place at any time. There is no reason to think that Photobucket is even involved. The virus may be designed to respond to any site you visit that requires a password or some other trigger that suggests the site is important to you. The hackers know that people will respond more positively if they think they're losing something valuable.

BB1, Have you recently accepted an offer to install 'Internet Security 2010' anti virus package from a pop-up on some other site ?

Googling 'internet security 2010 virus' should get you some more info...

Cheers

MrSleepy Guest

quoite..."This is the only site on which I posted the pictures in question"

You posted a link....not the pictures.... this BBS doesnt store the pics..just the link..

Rob

gnm109 Guest

I use Photobucket frequently without any difficulties. I also have Windows and don't seem to pick up viruses. It's only been about 20 years now so it hasn't been long enough yet. Maybe I'm scheduled to get a virus any time.

the link displays your photobucket pictures on your computer in an allocated area on your computers screen with the forum surrounding it coming from elsewhere.

all the best.markj

MrSleepy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aboard_epsilon
    the link displays your photobucket pictures on your computer

all the best.markj
    Not always...I was trying to look at your J ans S 540 pics from wayback...but they were showing just the placeholder...
    How do you rate your 540 Mark...I'm looking into one at the moment..

cheers Rob

airsmith282 Guest

i have had no issues at all

mine is perfect ..and i like it ..it must have had an easy life.
    but there is a lot of rubbish out there

Early 540 had Babbitt bearings .not available now ..and no one around to fix them .

machine ID'ed by the oil site glass on the side of the head

so if you buy one of these with worn heads .then you're looking at buying a whole new ball bearing head for it.

all the other spares are available from Jones and shipman ..at good reasonable prices, so no worries there.

early electrics can be a problem ..contactors for mem starters .......not available.........and there is great possibility that these will be burnt out .as the metal dust falls on to them in use.

other than that .if you can see lots of intact scraping marks then hopefully it should be a good one ..and should last you out .

sorry have deleted album from photobucket , as...when this site was revamped the links were buggered up .

i blocked all the add servers and pop ups on photobucket .so i dont see many ...if i do ...i take a look at the script, work out where its coming from and block that as well

block them with ...internet options ..security ..restricted sites.

i know it pays the way for photobucket ..but if they show anoying adds like that buzzing bee, and the "you have a virus" ones ..then so be it ..i have a blitz on them.

it would be great if you block adds on TV ........there are some really effing anoying ones on uk tv at the moment.

all the best.markj
    Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 01-31-2010 at 04:48 PM.

I got a virus warning from work the other day when viewing photobucket.

The admins had the latest and greatest security patches installed so it bounced off.

All it takes is a malicious ad. A fair number of viruses are embedded in ads. The site (like photobucket) isn't directly involved.

Here's the warning I got:

Scan type: Auto-Protect Scan
    Event: Risk Found!
    Security risk detected: Trojan.Pidief.G
    File: Cocuments and SettingsxxxLocal SettingsTempNCLzR2qp.pdf.part
    Computer: D-GSHZCK1
    User: xxx
    Action taken: Pending Side Effects Analysis : Access denied
    Date found: Friday, January 29, 2010 5:00:44 PM

I don't know if it is the same issue the OP mentioned.