Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: odd size chuck key

is it a square key or hex? square keys are easy. measure diagonally (top rt to bottom left) in the screw and turn a piece to that dia. not much filing left to do and it leaves nice rounded corners.

Quote Originally Posted by wooleybooger
    is it a square key or hex? square keys are easy. measure diagonally (top rt to bottom left) in the screw and turn a piece to that dia. not much filing left to do and it leaves nice rounded corners.
    An excellent simple solution!

I already made a crude one of mild steel with a grinder. It's not going to hold up. One reason I got the 4 jaw is so I can bear down without damaging a scroll.

Quote Originally Posted by wooleybooger
    Square. I measured and turned down, as stated above, a hardened roller from an old hydrostat. I'm turning the flats on the lathe but its slow going.

Thanks,
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer
    Sorry, as soon as I read about hammering........my eyes totally glanced over the "just kidding" part. Sorry bout that.
    --Doozer
    Used to be a guy at work who ALWAYS went on about people using a hammer with broaching sets (was there for 6 yrs, and never saw anyone do it, and no-one ever had as far as I could determine)
    Every time he came in for a broaching set I'd hand him a 4lb mini-maul with it, which would set him off every single time.

Ken

There's this toole that ye olde timers kept in their toolbox. It would work well to help you manufacture or modify a key to fit. It is difficult to describe, but I will try my best... It consists of the wood of a no certain hardwood tree, carved into a teardrop or cylindrical shape. A hole is introduced into the hardwood with the utmost care. Into this hole is ensconced a fragment of iron, with sufficient quantities of carbon diffused into it to cause it to be hard when properly treated. Across this shard of iron are cut many a tooth, the sharpness of which allows them to cut metal. A process of heating and cooling the piece is applied, causing it to become most tenuous under the strain of daily work.

I've heard there are some makers still producing these whimsical devices. Nichols, Sons & Co. of the new world, and Bahco, Brothers & Co. of the northern territories of the old world and well known among those interested.