Thread: Sharpening the sides of endmill/slot drills

Default Sharpening the sides of endmill/slot drills

Thanks to Mrs Stevenson and other kind people who emailed me some pages from other TC grinding manuals I believe I have worked out how to sharpen the sides of end and slot drills..

I firstly put the workhead on the table and get it aligned vertically and horizontally with the table..

I then put the slot drill in the workhead..

I then use the centre finder to get the end of the slot drill in the horizontal plane and also zero out the degrees scale on the workhead..

I then turn the scale to the amount of relief I need.. In this case I used about 5 degrees..

I then locked the workhead and set up the tooth rest next to the grinding wheel and rest it on the edge of the slot drill..

Unlock the work head, switch on the grinder and turn the workhead by hand..As the table runs on balls is gets moved along automatically with the helix..At the end I then move the table back and the workhead moves along automatically.. Proceed with the rest of the flutes...

Some pictures..

Default Good job

Well done Ringer.

Good job.

Thanks Tiffie... My biggest problem was a lot of the books were very vague on what to do..In fact most of them said to do it a different way to set the relief angle by lowering the tooth rest a certain amount after looking up some tables..

The way I have done it means there are no trig functions needed to be worked out..

I think a lot of the books take the view that you will have someone to show you in person what to do...

I think a lot of the books take the view that you will have someone to show you in person what to do...
    They used to call that an Apprenticeship...
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Slot drill?

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget
    Slot drill?
    The British/Canadian term for two flute end mill.
    Jim H.

Europe-Asia border aka somewhere on the Saros

Quote Originally Posted by JCHannum
    The British/Canadian term for two flute end mill.
    And don't forget, typically center cutting so you can drill into the end, then cut a slot with the same tool.

Once in a while the term is misused/applied to describe a center cutting 4 flute too.