Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most fun project I ever built?

gary350 Guest

Default Most fun project I ever built?

Here is a pic of my go cart it has a 4 cylinder mercury outboard boat motor power head on it. The engine is 65 HP producing about 75 hp at 7200 RPM running on 90% gas plus 10% alcohol. The engine is water cooled using 2 heater cores from junk yard cars as radiators and a Toyota water pump belt driven off the rear axle. Disc brakes and positive traction rear axle. Gear ratio is 3.7 to 1 direct drive with #40 chain. It idles at about 5 mph and will reach top speed 87 mph in about 3 seconds. Total weight of the entire go cart is 218 lbs. G force is unreal I have to accellerate in the curve with 1 eye closed because the G force causes my eyes to cross. Punch the gas pedal to the floor you better be handing on tight G force will pull your hands off the stearing wheel. This is the most fun toy I have ever built. This is not something you give to your grandson to play with if he isn't at lease 15 years old with some good common sense he doesn't need this toy.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gary350/gokart15.jpg

If anyone wants to build one let me know I will help you all I can. This is the second one I have built. Do not PM me all help needs to be where everyone can read and use the informations.

There is a good amount of machine work here. I build the disc brake caliper out of aluminum. #40 sprocket has a lot of metal removed to make it light weight. Motor mounts are machines, bearing mounts, water pump mounts, homemade V belt aluminum pully, brake pedal and linkage, stearing and linkage, front wheel stearing system and axles. It all has to be made 1 piece at a time. You need a lathe and a milling machine. The engine has to be rebuilt too. I don't care what kind of condition the motor is in I can make it run. I bought a motor that was on the bottom of the lake for almost a year and got it running good. Carburators have to be turned 90 degrees so 2 adptors have to be machined. Old carburators will work but road vibration makes the fuel foam and it screws up the float. 2 cycle diaphram carburetors work great. If you have a model airplane engine built a larger copy of the carburetor for the 65 hp engine.

I am getting read to build another one soon. Just as soon as I can clear out a few of my other projects and make some room I will be ready to build another go cart. I have 2 engines that are built and ready to bolt to the frame.

If the gear ratio was changed to about 2 to 1 this thing would go over 160 mph. Speed is not as much fun as power. My son use to talk about speed all the time it took me a long time to prove to him power is way more fun than speed.
    Last edited by gary350; 02-04-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Jesus! You are insane.

Can I try it?

-Pete
    I just like to make stuff.

Sweeeeeeeeeet.

Low COG, nice power to weight ratio, the only thing thats wrong is that it aint in my garage.

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Change the gearing closer to 2 to 1 , put on some protective gear and run about 10% "Pop" in the tank and forget about the alky. Get someone with a camera to take some action shots so You can post them.

Then give it to Me I want it.

Steve

Thats COOL, need more pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor demo
    Change the gearing closer to 2 to 1 , put on some protective gear and run about 10% "Pop" in the tank and forget about the alky. Get someone with a camera to take some action shots so You can post them.

Then give it to Me I want it.

Steve
    Shouldn't that be WILL it to you?

love it
    best post in a long time.....
    pure home shop madness
    please visit my webpage:
    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Thumbs up

Ok now you got my attention. I was thinking of putting a outboard motor on one of the pulling lawn mowers I have built. I would assume you used a fuel injected motor so you don't have to worry about the fuel bolus. Does it have a clutch? Guess not it ideals at 5mph. I wonder if a 4 stroke would work? Probably not the oil wouldn't flow and sit in the right places. That things got to be LOUD!!!!

gary350,

Very Nice! I'd like to see more pictures too.

Great topic, this thread could be the start of something very interesting. Maybe some more of you will post about your "Most fun project I ever built"! It doesn't have to be machine related.

Last edited by Mike Burdick; 02-04-2010 at 08:56 PM.

............wow