Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BXA toolholder - extra long

Default BXA toolholder - extra long

I have one BXA tool holder that is a little longer than normal. It is 3.5 inches long. All it says on it is "250-202" and "China". It is also different in that it uses 8mm setscrews. I would like to find a few more of these. Does anyone have any idea where to find something like this.

Here is a picture of the oversize holder and a standard BXA holder

All my chinese BXA toolholders use 8mm setscrews and are 'extra big'

I got my last batch from tools4cheap. Bought the 202 version (turning facing + boring notch)

For the record, I have bought tool holders from CDCO, Shars, Grizzly, and Phase II, and all of them were the same size which is the shorter one in the picture.

The 3.5" long holder came with the lathe and I have been looking for them for a while now. Every now and then the long one comes in handy.

I can see now why there is confusion when it comes to replacement setscrews.
    Last edited by Richard-TX; 02-05-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Aloris has gotten cheap and reduced the size of the tool posts and holders. Steel is cheaper in China.

JL..............

Double checked, all my holders are from tools4cheap (was impressed with first batch of 5 so I ordered 5 more later on) And they all are 3.5" long, the only shorter holders I have are my origional BXA phase II holders.
    If in any doubt, E-mail the guy (hes on ebay and http://www.tools4cheap.net ) and ask him what the length of his current stock of BXA 202 series holders are. He allways seemed friendly/quick enough awnsering my questions.
    Note: 10+ holders starts to get heavy in the old toolbox!

<Edit: corrected url>
    Last edited by Black_Moons; 02-25-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Some of the Chicom holders are longer. I have an older set of the 250-20X holders that are longer, 3-1/2", the later ones I got from CDCO are also marked 250-20X but are shorter at 2-3/4". The Aloris BXA and Armstrong equivalent are 3" and a Dorian I have is 3-1/4".
    Jim H.

Shorter would just seem weird to me, it takes 3 1/2" to clear the dovetail of the adjacent 90degree position on the toolpost.

The 3 1/2" I have came from Grizzly, about 4 years ago.

TC

Last month I ordered a BXA tool post set and 2 extra holders from Tools 4 cheap. They are the long ones as I also ordered 10 extra holders from CDCO at the same time. CDCO are shorter, but 1/2 the price.
    I had commented to Jeff at tools 4 cheap that his tool holders were longer, and seemed to be of better qaulity than CDCO. His reply was spread the word around, so here goes!!!

I think the url is tools4cheap.net not .com