Thread: Some questions about rotating threading tool holders.

Default Some questions about rotating threading tool holders.

Making and trying one of these is near the top of my “to-do” list. I had intended to make one to attach to the Quick-change tool post. Then I began to consider making a Base block like the Quick-change post that would mount directly to the cross slide. The rotating arm would be attached directly to this and the cutter height dimension simply built in. The one bolt attachment would not be as handy as the Quick-change but it seems to be O K

What do you think about this approach?
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

I don't understand what it is your making can you make a drawing, scan and post it so we can see what you have in mind.
    It's only ink and paper

Default Adapting the Swinging Tool Holder

This shows the concept that John Stevenson posted recently.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...toolholder.jpg

This is for mounting on his style quick-change tool holder with the backward dovetail. I was going to adapt this to a tool holder for my Dorian tool post. When I started thinking about it, the quick-change advantage actually becomes more of a liability than an asset. A block of steel to replace the tool post and attach the swinging arm to looks like a better path to pursue.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Either one would work equally well. The solid block bolted the the compound is good and the quick change holder is just as good.

All that matters is what works for you.
    It's only ink and paper