Thread: What I have been building

Default What I have been building

Over the past few months I have made 2 FM2 actions. They need to be finished and blued or browned. The 3 inch round stock is what they were made from.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Ford; 02-10-2010 at 12:06 AM.

Look great .what do they weight?

Looking good Bob. What calibers are you going to build them in?
    Jim H.

Bob, I really appreciate your posting that because that answers a couple of questions for me and reaffirms my confidence in the material used in my project, I too started with a piece of 4140 HT 3" round stock since that's what I had on hand.

A few months ago I traded a guy a Harbor Freight 6 1/2 HP gasoline engine even up for 9 pieces of 3"x4' 4140 round, 2 pieces of 4150 round 3"X2' and several hundred pounds of unidentified round bar and flat stock, none of the unidentified stock is mild steel but the end markings had been torched off. There is also some cast iron bar, flat plate and 1 4"X3"X5" block of cast iron.

This guy was hauling this stuff to the scrap yard! He had bought it at a liquidation auction of a local machine shop and came by my place to pick up some scrap I had when I saw what he was carrying on his truck.

Jeef,

I have not weighed as do not have good scale. By taking the weight of a 1.5 x 4 rectangle and subtracting the metal machined off, I come up with about 43 oz / or 2.7 lbs.

Jim,

Will probably make one in something made from 30-30 Winchester or 30-40 Krag .303 Enfield as these cases are easiest to make work in with this design. I built 2 because once you do setups it is simple to make two parts.

Radkins,

My first action of this type was built in the 80ís scaled down for .22 Hornet. I have fired over 1,000 rounds and see no wear.

Bob

Looks great Bob.

Jeff

Geat looking jobs. Please keep the photos coming!