Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avon calling.

Default Avon calling.

It looks like I've done a deal on the Avon 2200 CNC mill I was looking at...

The price is 800 (about US$1250 at todays rate), but I'm having to buy a trailer to safely move the bulk (the manual specifies 2000Kg lifting capacity). Getting the trailer down the dirt track around the back of my house and unloading it may be a bit of an adventure. At keast if I own the trailer, I can just sheet the mill over and consider the next move.

I just bought a 1991 Milltronics Partner 1 for 1K, but it's going to cost me $360 to have it delivered 9 whole miles...

If you could see my driveway, you'd understand why I just pay people to haul stuff into the shop. I think of it as cheap insurance.

Looks like a lot of macihine for $1250.

Bob

I just bought an Interact 11,Series 11 for 248.Has minor problems but with a good old rock solid Heidenhain 145.
    Not far from you.Collecting it Saturday.
    Mark.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bridgeport-Ser...09182001r25534

Like this one?

I just spent 4 hours cramming all my stuff (including my mill and lathe) along one wall so I could get the new machine in. I'll have pics tomorrow.

Exactly like that one Jim.Even got the same serial number.I was debating which of my mills I would dedicate for a long time drilling job and this appeared.:-)
    Mark.

I had been bummed about another machine that sold for really cheap locally, and even the mrs was surprised at how low it went for (she knew I wasn't seriously pursuing winning it), and then a week later I'm on the phone about a CL ad for a couple surface grinders and the guy tells me about the partner 1. So I casually mentioned it to the mrs what it was, and how it was half the price of what the mycenter sold for and that I meant it when I said I wasn't buying more machines till we had more money coming in when she says "go!"

Granted, it needs a capacitor, but he's downsizing/moving to a smaller building and his kid (who's like 50) didn't want to sell the machine at all. So his kid was trying to track down a cap when I came back with the money and that didn't go well (I'm sure they had words after I left). lol I've got a pair of new caps (there's two in the machine, only one is bad) coming so I'll just replace them both for good measure. They had a tech out to confirm that's all that's wrong with it (even checked all the boards).

So today (friday) around 2ish my new (and only) VMC will be arriving. I won't have any tooling for it till next week, and the caps will be here monday or tuesday, so it's just getting set in place today. Next week will be more fun. For the weekend, I'll have a pair of "dead" cnc's. I have a nakamura TMC3 that's got a bad power supply I need to fix one of these days. The difference is that one showed up working and I broke it.

MrSleepy Guest

Ive been offered a 2002 King Rich KRV4000 at a great price by a local firm I do occasional work for...I would love to have it...I think its essentially the same machine that Glacern use in their videos..

It prolly weighs about 3-4 ton and even though I'd be moving it down a concrete drive..itd still take some shifting

Can the avon be dismantled into easier chunks..

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McGrath
    I just bought an Interact 11,Series 11 for 248.Has minor problems but with a good old rock solid Heidenhain 145.
    Not far from you.Collecting it Saturday.
    Mark.
    The Avon is also near Abingdon, so it's even closer!

I'd seen that Interact, but having initially come up blank with moving the Avon, I couldn't have moved the Bridgeport either.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSleepy
    Can the avon be dismantled into easier chunks.
    Taking off the top end would be pretty quick and easy. Stripping it much further gets more involved. It's at least an hour and a half drive each way (took me three hours coming back the first time) to get to the mill, so I don't want to do much to it on site.

Once it's here I should be able to deal with most problems, just not necessarily quickly, which is why buying the trailer makes sense. I should be able to get most of my money back if I sell it later, but I can think of a couple of other jobs where it will be useful.