Thread: D1-6 ER40 collet chuck

Hybrid View

Default D1-6 ER40 collet chuck

Got around to making an ER40 collet chuck with a D1-6 backplate to fit the lathe...

I am quite impressed with the holding accuracy.... With the 0.01mm indicator on a rod out of a printer 250mm from the chuck, I was unable to detect movement in the needle...Well maybe a tiny tiny tiny bit... Very happy with how it turned out...

I think it is going to be a handy accessory to have...

Very nice work. Should serve you well.
    Gary

Very nice, what materials did you use?

Any afterthought/heinsights?

Iv heard those ER40 collets expect like 100ft/lbs+ torque for full holding power, do you use anything to stop your spindle while tightening? make a bigger collet wrench? etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Moons
    Very nice, what materials did you use?

Any afterthought/heinsights?

Iv heard those ER40 collets expect like 100ft/lbs+ torque for full holding power, do you use anything to stop your spindle while tightening? make a bigger collet wrench? etc?

I used just mild steel bar to make it, i know it is not ideal and in an ideal world it would be made out of hardenable steel and ground but I do not have those facilities on hand..

I just tighten it up as tight as I can...I put the lathe in low gear, plus it has a foot brake...

Nice work on the chuck, but that's not how you test runout. Dial indicators may have too much backlash to pick up runout.

Always use a test indicator to measure run out. Let us know what the test indicator says.

[
    Last edited by MTNGUN; 02-18-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Very difficult to believe....

Ten inches away from the collet you get essentially no runout using an indicator that reads to .00039" accuracy.

There are just too many factors involved here that could throw things off, any of which by being only .0001" off could drastically affect the runout. The back plate mount to spindle, the collet holder mount to the backplate, not to mention most ER collets aren't that true running right at the collet face.

A good idea and nice work Ringer. Thanks for sharing

Accuracy questionability aside..........nice job, thats something I would find occasionally useful having the same collets as my mill.
    Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....