Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - What happens when you let your computer run a long time?

Too_Many_Tools Guest

Default OT - What happens when you let your computer run a long time?

Off topic but likely of interest to the members here.

I would like someone(s) discuss what happens to a computer when it is left running for a long time both hardware and software wise.

What prompted this request is that I notice that if I leav IE running for a few days it gets VERY VERY SLOW.

But again the general subject of what happens when one lets a computer run for days, weeks, years? would be of interest to me and others also.

Thanks

TMT

My computer stays on for weeks at a time. The only time I shut it down is when I do a system scan, or update. But I always log off of the Internet when I'm done surfing the web.
    I haven't had any issues as far as slowing down, or anything else by leaving it on.
    My electric bill's probably a few bucks higher though.

Two separate things - long runs of computer vs. long runs of IE.
    If some application gets slow maybe it's got some buggy leak which is the cause of it. If you don't have IE open, do things slow down?

Hardware-wise, if I leave my computer on for a long time I avoid some wear and tear: hard drive spin-ups and thermal cycles on the CPU.
    Also, I don't have to wait for it to boot up.

-Matt

According to the engineers at work, if you leave a computer on for days at a time and it starts to act up the first thing you do is reboot. This supposedly flushes out the cache memory.

I've heard the average harddrive is good for 10,000 hours before the the bearings wear enough that data can get screwed up when reading it. That info may have changed over time.

If you are running IE8, try going to Google Chrome instead. I just did this yesterday and it solved my crawling speed problem. I got this info from a friend. I google'd IE8 and found this site.

http://www.blogsdna.com/1900/how-to-...it-version.htm
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

My Mac G5 has been on continuously since I bought it four and a half years ago, serving both my Web sites in addition to being used for my regular computer stuff. Haven't noticed any degradation of performance
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Usually what happens is your system gets bogged down running a bunch of useless programs in the background. I leave mine on for long periods of time, but I keep an eye on my process manager and make sure I don't end up with a bajillion useless apps running in the background

My dell pc has been on for 6 years, I have left it off now for the last few years because I have been on laptops. But it still runs fine when I turn it on.

RB211 Guest

Heat is the enemy, if the computer stays consistent running temperature, all is good. Too cold is just as bad as too hot. I wouldn't leave a laptop on 24/7...

I have two simulation machines in my office that I keep pegged 24/7. One is running XP and has an uptime of 9 months. The other is running Win 7 and has been running 3 months straight (I rebooted it to install Win7). As long as your apps are well-behaved, you won't have a problem, and even if you have ill-behaved apps, Vista/Win7 now contains almost all third party software in user-space, so they won't take the kernel down.

As far as energy concerns, all x86 processors have extensive power management features that are supported by Windows and MacOS. If you're really concerned about power, set your machine to sleep after an hour of idle, and suspend to RAM (S3) after 2 hours. You can also set a timer to power off the hard drives and/or monitor after N minutes.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Quote Originally Posted by Your Old Dog

I've heard the average harddrive is good for 10,000 hours before the the bearings wear enough that data can get screwed up when reading it.
    mine are living on borrowed time then
    C- drive
    13,827 hours and 803 power on count

F-drive
    14,042 hours and 1450 power on count

all the best.markj

PS...just downloaded a prog called "crystal disk info" to find this out .