Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GMT Milling vises?

Default GMT Milling vises?

I went to GMT's website to look at their milling vises. They appear to be from the same Chinese factory as the Grizzly Precision milling vises.

Any of you guys have any experience with there GMT GSV-690 6" milling vise? How does it compare to the Griz?

Thanks
    Greebe

They have been discussed several times on the "other forum", but I think you will find wha you are looking for in these details.

Especially in this link.

Try http://www.google.com/search?q=glace...pmachinist.net

Several HSM members have purchased the Glacern vises and other products.

Thanks for the links. I tend not to gravitate to the Practical Machinist forum these days. Seems a good majority of people over there just like to try to tell everyone else that they are stupid. Lots of arrogance and bad attitudes around that place.

I guess from what I read is that they have their castings made in Taiwan and machine them here in their US shop. Haven't messed with one so I have no idea as to the quality. A Kurt would be nice, but at three times the price, the GMT might be worth a look.

Greebe

I purchased a Grizzly vise in 4 inch and have been quite pleased with it, I bought it before I saw the Glacern products listing. They do look very simular altho I don't know where the simularity ends. The Grizzly is quite accurate and repeatable, as well as the movable jaw being adjustable.
    If I had it to do over I would have gotten the 6 inch but money was the desiding factor in that case. The paper included in the Grizzly stated it came from Taiwan.
    Last edited by rolland; 02-25-2010 at 04:08 PM.

I have one of their double 6" vises and it seems nice. Only used it on one job so far, but I like it. I would rate his stuff as nice Taiwan quality at least as good as Parlec but a notch down from Kurt.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD
    I would rate his stuff as nice Taiwan quality at least as good as Parlec but a notch down from Kurt.
    It is Taiwanese. So is Parlec.

I've seen Mike's, and it looks way nicer than the mainland Chinese vises.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Iv heard glacern is a definate cut above anything you'll find at grizzly, they compair very well to a kurt from what other people here have said.

Default vises

I've had Kurts and have had junk but when I needed a new vise I got a Parlec from ENCO its the one that opens up about 9" its just as good as a Kurt and less $ . Its nice when you win the door prize it was a $1,000.00 spending spree won it at the Eastec show.

Quote Originally Posted by duckman
    I've had Kurts and have had junk but when I needed a new vise I got a Parlec from ENCO its the one that opens up about 9" its just as good as a Kurt and less $ . Its nice when you win the door prize it was a $1,000.00 spending spree won it at the Eastec show.
    In the immortal words of Monty Python.... "You lucky, lucky, lucky bas...d"

I've been lusting after a Parlec for a long time.