Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storage of tiny drill bits

Question Storage of tiny drill bits

Does anybody have any tiny drill bits they keep on hand? How do you store them?

I have a bunch of 0.30mm to 0.50mm drill bits that I regularly use and haven't figured out where to put them. So they lay out in their own corner of the bench. I don't want to put them in any sort of partitioned box as I would need to keep a pair of tweezers in the box as well as these bits are all less than an inch long. Maybe an egg carton?

Looking for ideas...

Thanks,

Brian
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

the least space consuming are small envelopes, marked with the size and stacked in a parts drawer. Not sure where the small envelopes come from though...jewellers supply, or stamp collecting maybe? there are 60-80 drill indexes. The smallest ones i have come in little vials else you'd lose them.

I agree with Mcgyver, although I would use small ziplock bags, especially the ones with the white area on them for writing the contents. I bought a large assortment of these on Ebay, although you may be able to get a few locally.

Another idea are old film canisters, esp the clear ones... if you can still find film canisters these days!

how about poke them into a peice of foam?

I tape small drills to the back of business cards and write the size there too. Run the tape across the drills so they can be pulled out and slid back. The cards are rigid enough to offer a little protection and make the drills easy to handle. Store in an envelope.

John

Here's a storage box I made for very small center drills. The blue is from a sheet of 1/8" craft foam, punched with hand hole punch, glued to the plastic box with an intentional "bump". The box was from old computer tapes but any small flip top box would work.

Den

Little clear film canisters.

If they are super small I put them in little 1"x2" envelops like mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by vpt
    Little clear film canisters.

what are those things?

by envelopes I meant : #00 - (1 11/16 x 2 3/4) - 24#

something small enough a stack will fit in a parts drawer...for me now everything is about conserving space
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 02-25-2010 at 10:00 PM.

How about something like these? As low as $20.64 for 48 of them.

McMaster-Carr sells a neat little case full of bits #61 thru #80 in quite a few finishes/tip angles. Check out for instance cat. number: 8856A57