Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting internal keyways

Default Cutting internal keyways

I want to make up some gears and need to cut 15 or thereabouts 3/16" keyways in a 7/8" bore, the bore being around 1" long. I have a shaper, so could make up the appropriate tool and cut them on it. I also was looking at a lathe mounted (hand powered) reciprecating tool used for engraving graduations and wondering about adapting that. I have no room for a press, so broaching is not a possibility. Anyone have any other methods that are worth sharing?

Michael

You have a shaper but no room for a press? An arbor press really does not take up that much space.

But given what you've got, I vote for using the shaper. After all, that kind of axial cutting is what it's designed to do.

The shaper followed me home...
    I bought a beautiful fly press once but got it back to the shed and discovered that I had no where to put it, so reluctantly on sold it to a guy at work who was lusting after one.
    I have half a double garage and is already home to a mill, lathe, drill press, shaper, welder, panbrake, table saw, thicknesser, bandsaw, linisher, surface table, optical comparator a few benches and a shelf or two. I can't quite work out how to wedge a press in (yet)
    Michael

Well the shaper will certainly work well.
    If if you could find an area for it you'll enjoy the speed and nice looking keyways
    using a press and broach.
    My little Palmgren 2 ton press would easily handle a 3/16" keyway in mild steel, brass or aluminum for example. You could probably cut 15 key ways in around 20 minutes with a good broach and press.
    Estimated force needed for 1 pass broaches at bottom pf page-
    http://www.dumont.com/prod6c.html

But since you have a shaper, may as well put it to work!

Steve

I've cut internal key ways with a hacksaw and file. That wasn't a lot of fun, but it did get the job done. The shaper sounds like your best bet.

Use the mill quill as a press.

Make a planing tool for your lathe.
    Mount the Center of the tool on the CL of th espindle..Use the lathe as a shaper-planer. Lock the spindle in position.
    K Lively

Hey Form_Change,

I recently (last week) cut an internal 3/16" key-way in a 3/4" bore in aluminum using a boring bar on my lathe. I used a 1/2" boring bar and ground a 3/16 HSS tool mounted in my QCTP and moved it back and forth with the carriage wheel. It took awhile, but turned out fine advancing the tool about 5 thou and making several spring passes (tool bar flex). I will probably use this method again as it was easy to do, however I will build a purpose built ram with a much stiffer tool bar in it. It will mount directly on the carriage in place of the compound for increased rigidity. I have seen several examples of these in the "shop made tools" thread on this forum.

While this works ok in a pinch, using the shaper looks like a better deal to me. If I was going to do a lot of internal keyways, I would invest in a arbor press and broach set.

Tim

I have half a double garage and is already home to a mill, lathe, drill press, shaper, welder, panbrake, table saw, thicknesser, bandsaw, linisher, surface table, optical comparator a few benches and a shelf or two. I can't quite work out how to wedge a press in yet
    You're obviously not trying very hard if that's all that is in there

deltaenterprizes, you shouldn't use the mill quill for a press. The rack on the quill is not designed to be a press and it will not last long doing that.
    It's only ink and paper