Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a part for a Vernon vertical mill

Default Need a part for a Vernon vertical mill

My son's friend has a Vernon vertical mill (the jig borer), and he needs a part for it. Specifically, the collet nut. The threads on the end of the quill are 1 1/2" x 16 tpi, and they extend only .400" from the shoulder on the quill. The center of the hole in the end of the quill is .832". I have read that it is supposed to use Browne & Sharpe #7 collets, but I have also read that 3AT works too.

I would attach a picture, but I guess I am not authorized to do that. Hope my description is good and that I used the correct terminology.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,

Wayne

other than making one not sure where to point you.....but pics are easy. no one is authorized, this site doesn't host. Set up a photobucket account (fast and free hosting), up the pic and post the link in the thread...there is sticky at the top of list of threads giving more detail

personally i like it better that it doesn't host, some that do are painfully slow whereas photobucket always seems super fast

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver
    personally i like it better that it doesn't host, some that do are painfully slow whereas photobucket always seems super fast
    My only gripe with NOT hosting is all the threads I have you gone to read where all the photos are just boxes that say photo no longer available. I've come across quite a few and I find it irritating. Most, if not all, are photobucket accounts that dont' exist any more. Photobucket accounts come and go, especially go, far too often. Just add a couple of two gig disk drives and host a few gazillion photos. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

Wayne

Too_Many_Tools Guest

Quote Originally Posted by xeddog
    My son's friend has a Vernon vertical mill (the jig borer), and he needs a part for it. Specifically, the collet nut. The threads on the end of the quill are 1 1/2" x 16 tpi, and they extend only .400" from the shoulder on the quill. The center of the hole in the end of the quill is .832". I have read that it is supposed to use Browne & Sharpe #7 collets, but I have also read that 3AT works too.

I would attach a picture, but I guess I am not authorized to do that. Hope my description is good and that I used the correct terminology.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,

Wayne

I for one would like to see some pictures of this relatively rare machine posted.

Thanks

TMT

Quote Originally Posted by Too_Many_Tools
    I for one would like to see some pictures of this relatively rare machine posted.

Thanks

TMT

Get me a nut and I'll get you all the pictures you want. If you just want to see what one looks like then there is this:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/vernon/

Seriously, I'll try to get some pictures one of these days. It is located at my son's friends place and I just can't go walking in over there. At least not yet. If I can get the nut he will give me a key and I can go whenever I need to do some milling.

Wayne

Too_Many_Tools Guest

Get me a nut and I'll get you all the pictures you want. If you just want to see what one looks like then there is this:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/vernon/

Seriously, I'll try to get some pictures one of these days. It is located at my son's friends place and I just can't go walking in over there. At least not yet. If I can get the nut he will give me a key and I can go whenever I need to do some milling.

Wayne
    Got those pictures yet? ;<)

Got that nut yet??

Nah. I haven't even spoken to the kid lately. He can be hard to track down. He just recently changed his work schedule to have Wednesdays off, so maybe I can catch him then. Problem is, he is really "whipped" and his wife usually has quite a list of things for him to do. heh heh heh. I have the gas tank for his outboard motor over here and I can't get him to pick that up either. Been something like 6 months now.

But I'll get them someday.

xeddog

Too_Many_Tools Guest

Got that nut yet??

Nah. I haven't even spoken to the kid lately. He can be hard to track down. He just recently changed his work schedule to have Wednesdays off, so maybe I can catch him then. Problem is, he is really "whipped" and his wife usually has quite a list of things for him to do. heh heh heh. I have the gas tank for his outboard motor over here and I can't get him to pick that up either. Been something like 6 months now.

But I'll get them someday.

xeddog
    Well I'll be interested in seeing the pictures when you get them.

As for the nut, better plan on getting it made..that machine is rare at best.

TMT

Quote Originally Posted by Too_Many_Tools
    Well I'll be interested in seeing the pictures when you get them.

As for the nut, better plan on getting it made..that machine is rare at best.

TMT

I gathered that. So far I have only found one other person that has one, and of course he has no spare nut and no source for any parts at all. But he did send me a picture of the nut. . . .or at least A nut.

xeddog

btw, the kid that owns the mill has not even taken a paper towel to it in the year or so that he has had it. It is FILTHY to say the least. You can almost see the green paint under all the filth. I told him that if I get the nut, I am not going to give it to him until he cleans and lubes the poor thing.

Too_Many_Tools Guest

I gathered that. So far I have only found one other person that has one, and of course he has no spare nut and no source for any parts at all. But he did send me a picture of the nut. . . .or at least A nut.

xeddog

btw, the kid that owns the mill has not even taken a paper towel to it in the year or so that he has had it. It is FILTHY to say the least. You can almost see the green paint under all the filth. I told him that if I get the nut, I am not going to give it to him until he cleans and lubes the poor thing.

Perhaps you should take the machine off his hands. ;<)

I have seen pieces of this machine...extremely well build.

I had also seen one retrofited with a Bridgeport M head...a consideration that your friend may want to consider.

TMT