Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thread dial

Smile Thread dial

Has anyone the plans for a thread dial for a 9"C South Bend lathe. They want $150 for one on ebay. I think that's excessive. The little gear on the bottom of it is a 1.340" 32 teeth. I might be able to find a gear from Bearings Drives Unlimited the rest seems only a small shaft and bearing to hold it with a dial on the other end. Thanks Boot

It should be easy to fabricate one. All you need is a gear, a shaft for the gear, a brass bushing for the shaft, A piece of 1 1/2" dia. CR or HR, a short piece of 3/4" CR or HR to weld to the 1 1/2" at right angles to bolt it to the carriage apron. You will have to machine a dial to press on the shaft or you can get fancy and press a hub on the shaft with an adjustable plate with the marks on it.

A little measuring and drawing it up and before long you will have your thread dial for probably less than $40.
    It's only ink and paper

There's some beautiful examples of shop made thread dials in the pages here. Google thread dials site:bbs.homeshopmachinist.net and see what you get.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dp
    There's some beautiful examples of shop made thread dials in the pages here. Google thread dials site:bbs.homeshopmachinist.net and see what you get.
    Couldn't find any on the Google page. I did find good clear plans on a Nov. 1940 Popular Science page on how to build one. I still would like to know where I can get the little 32 tooth gear for it. GaryPhanson was making them, but that was 6 years ago. Any suggestions ?

send a PM to gary p.

Have you tried Boston Gear and some of the other gear suppliers?
    It's only ink and paper

It is a gear, but not really a gear. A toothed wheel is a more apt description of what is required, not a great deal of precision is required, just uniformity. Making one is a simple exercise that will gain you a new skill. Search the site for thread dial, not Google, there have been quite a few posts on shop made units.
    Jim H.

Quote Originally Posted by Boot
    Couldn't find any on the Google page. I did find good clear plans on a Nov. 1940 Popular Science page on how to build one. I still would like to know where I can get the little 32 tooth gear for it. GaryPhanson was making them, but that was 6 years ago. Any suggestions ?
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=20563

There's not a lot of science in making them - it's a wheel, shaft, and dial and something to attach it all to. Here's one I adapted from an Ebay purchase:
    http://TheVirtualBarAndGrill.com/machinery - scroll down a few pictures.