Page 101 of 451 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 4505

Thread: What did you do today?

If you've not got proper combustion going on, could it be bad enough to be generating a not-insignificant amount of carbon monoxide? If so, have they left a repair in a dangerous condition? May well be far from this bad, of course.

Birthday tooling delivery arrived today. Spent the evening with a beer on one hand and cleaning up my shiny new angle blocks - went for the with-toe type in the end.
    Had some other import parts too that needed cleaning, deburring and the holes tapped all the way through. Nothing that couldn't be sorted though.

Busy in the shop at the moment, feel like I've got my 'shop mojo flowing again finally after recovering from my car accident.

Took out the water heater from the shop, It takes up massive amounts of wall space + lpg cylinders to run it, and in deep winter its a freezing risk if I dont heat the shop. When I wash my hands I use cold water anyway to keep the pores closed until theyre clean, and when I need hot water I have a kettle or a diesel powered steam cleaner. Taking the cold feed out through the wall to a external tap that can be drained down completely in winter, so the kids don't have to have my workshop keys to put the hose on to top off the pool/leave the connection leaking spraying water all over my cnc gear etc.

Then onto fixing the flood coolant pump on surface grinder, when switched on it just stayed still, pump sounded like it had dropped a phase (3 phase supply in shop). Grabbed meter, and p3 had gone at the pump, traced it back and it was the coolant switch on the grinder, which is the 1940's original. Being a period switch, it was made with brass innards and serviceable, so it was taken off and cleaned internally with the dremmel with a soft nylon brush on the contacts and reassembled. P3 back, pump working. While I was in there, I found a issue with the machine light and fixed that too.
    Then flushed (flooded) with success I decided it was time to sort out the hydraulics on the table, its a hydraulic/manual grinder, but unlike the J&S and similar the ways are lubricated by a separate oil pump so no damage from using it manually. When I first got the machine, the hydraulics worked and I like them a lot because it meant large jobs could be ran unattended but the system was hit and miss on the day, then stopped completely a few months back.
    So off with the covers and observe, and everything is rotating (can see the oldham coupler to the pump rotating anyway!) pull the unions for the hydraulic pump setup, and drag it out. First time I've tackled one, so I'm new to it but not new to hydraulic pumps, so tomorrow I'll clean it up and change the fluids and see where we are from there.

3 Phase Lightbulb Guest

Got some battery powered pool lights for the kids pool. They have several blink/solid modes but basically sink to the bottom and fill the pool up with light/color. I wonder why they weigh them down with ~1/2" threaded nuts. They are made in china so I figure they must have something less costly than 1/2" nuts to use for weight? Maybe they were defective but they look OK to me. Maybe they are a very limited run. I wonder what the story is behind the 1/2" nuts for weight.

building a workbench, the length of one wall. this requires much wrestling of plywood sheets, clamping, marking. just allow no distractions, or it will never get done, he says on the internet...

Note to self, don't leave tank extracted from machine overnight expecting gravity and fate to not cook up some cruel trick for you on your return...
    Shopping tomorrow, since I have stolen the last of the cat litter from the supplies cupboard in the house, and we have 4 cats...

Quote Originally Posted by MrFluffy View Post
    Note to self, don't leave tank extracted from machine overnight expecting gravity and fate to not cook up some cruel trick for you on your return...
    Shopping tomorrow, since I have stolen the last of the cat litter from the supplies cupboard in the house, and we have 4 cats...
    The law of gravity is very closely related to the law of Murphy.

3 Phase Lightbulb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AD5MB View Post
    building a workbench, the length of one wall. this requires much wrestling of plywood sheets, clamping, marking. just allow no distractions, or it will never get done, he says on the internet...
    Easy Peasy. Try building a workbench the length of all walls. You'll need a trap door in the floor to get under the bench

I finally finished getting the outside of the shop painted. Did I say I hate painting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After my difficulties trying to mow the high grass, weeds, brush, vines, and small trees in my hilltop meadow, I have been wanting a high wheel brush cutter. Over the weekend, I saw one advertised on Facebook Marketplace, for $50. I contacted the seller, and he said that it was hard to start, and would only run a few seconds before stalling out. So on Monday my friend and I drove about 30 miles to Westminster and looked at the machine. We tried to start it but it didn't even "catch", although it seemed to have reasonable compression, and overall condition was barely used. I was going to offer just $40 but he also threw in a pitchfork, so I thought $50 was fair. Here is the machine:

I verified that it had spark, and I found that the spark plug was loose. The primer bulb was missing, but I added a hose to the fitting and was able to get fuel into the throat, but it still would not start. I used starting fluid spray (ether) and it started and ran for a few seconds and stalled. So I removed the carburetor (which was remarkably clean), and took off the bowl. I cleaned some varnish off the inside surface of the bowl, and removed the main jet, but didn't find anything that would cause a problem.

I did some research on-line and found very little on this problem, but one discussion noted that there is a "hidden" low speed jet under the plastic idle adjuster screw. So I removed it, and found some black crud or corrosion on the tip, which also has a tiny hole. I used a wire from a wire brush to clean it, and put it back together.

Today I re-installed the carburetor, and now the machine starts and runs well. At first it was surging at higher speed but that got better as it warmed up. It still seems to need priming, which I now accomplish by blowing into the primer tube. A new primer is about $10, but I think I can use a squeeze bottle or eyedropper to do the same thing. Here are a couple videos of it starting and running. In the first video I think I had not set the throttle to "ON".

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/tool...immer_4316.AVI

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/tool...immer_4317.AVI

Now to drag it up the hill and attack the massive green invasion!

3 Phase Lightbulb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jdedmon91 View Post
    I finally finished getting the outside of the shop painted. Did I say I hate painting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fiction can be fun.... Where is the picture?