Page 11 of 451 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do today?

Not a lot of machining but my garden shed was starting to show its age so about a month ago I decided it was time to fix it up a bit. From the pictures you will note that there is a maple tree next to it, that tree did not exist when I built the shed. However it self planted itself and then proceeded to grow. Early on I was going to pull it out but was informed that it was a “nice little tree and I should leave it”. Well it obviously continued to grow some and since then and it got to the point where it was caving in the side of the shed. Clearly there is no way I could save the old shed I just needed to tear it down and build a new one.

Now I could have just copied the old design or even done the unthinkable and just gone out and bought a new one. But what’s the fun in that, plus I would then end up with a typical generic garden shed. So I decided to design my own and do something a little different. This is the result.

Used the sheet metal from an old computer cabinet to make the candle holders. Cut, bent, welded, and powder coated them. The candles are white delrin and their flames are 150 watt halogen lamps. The moat, hard to see in picture, has a small water fountain. At night a dozen solar powered LED’s light up the windows with a soft yellow light.

Outstanding, I love it!

Tree still there, right?

Today- made a spur of the moment decision to drive out to Chilliwack lake. Used to be a favorite spot until the hoards got to know about it. Was nice anyway to get out and simply enjoy nature. This is not a typical suntanners destination, but it sure was hard to keep my eyes in my head at times. They just weren't built like that in my day-

Up until lunchtime, I'd done nothing other than drink coffee.
    Was planning to trim a few shrubs before the weather gets warmer but rain put a stop to that.
    Put on some lamb shanks for dinner, should be ready in a few hours.

So the day wasn't a total loss, trammed the X2 mill and took a few measurements with a view to CNC.

Rest of the time, and tonight, is to be spent studying computer stuff for a job interview on Wednesday. Apparently my resume MAY have mentioned a level of expertise in a few areas that exceeds reality - at least I'll have time to brush up on a few buzz words.
    Regards
    Geoff
    My place.

Had a string of bad luck these last three weeks. Had a power surge that took out the microwave, two DVD players, stereo system, several wall warts, and the air conditioner control module and transformer. Got the air conditioner working first thing. Lawn tractor broke a belt, water softener had to be replaced. Rather than spend $800+ dollers on a new one, I bought the resin media and rebuilt the unit. It works great now, but I broke and the main water pipe coming from the water pump that had rusted as thin as the galvanizing. I'm currently repairing rotted window sills that I fixed last year but found that the Behr paint with built in primer doesn't stick to the Armstrong wood putty, resewed our 15x25 awning that had a seam let go down the middle, continued work on a Boyer Schultz surface grinder rebuild, (pictures will be posted eventually...).
    Eric Sanders in Brighton, Michigan
    www.scope-werks.com
    www.compufoil.com

I made a spacer for my clutch cable sheath. The cable was too long (or the sheath too short) to get a good adjustment between full engaged and fully disengaged. This little spacer did the trick.

It isn't much of a project, but being able to fabricate my own solution instead of ordering a new cable, waiting a week and hoping it fits is a small miracle. I sure am glad I bought a lathe!

Quote Originally Posted by AiR_GuNNeR
    Had a string of bad luck these last three weeks. Had a power surge that took out the microwave, two DVD players, stereo system, several wall warts, and the air conditioner control module and transformer. Got the air conditioner working first thing. Lawn tractor broke a belt, water softener had to be replaced. Rather than spend $800+ dollers on a new one, I bought the resin media and rebuilt the unit. It works great now, but I broke and the main water pipe coming from the water pump that had rusted as thin as the galvanizing. I'm currently repairing rotted window sills that I fixed last year but found that the Behr paint with built in primer doesn't stick to the Armstrong wood putty, resewed our 15x25 awning that had a seam let go down the middle, continued work on a Boyer Schultz surface grinder rebuild, (pictures will be posted eventually...).

It's because of days like that I prefer to do nothing at all, ever. If you ain't doing it you can't break it.

Had a busy day today.
    Went out in the shop today about 11:00 after doing a load of email and support issues.

Surface ground 58 laser cut discs for division plates and set the CNC up, that had a busy day chuntering away to itself.

Believe it or not there is a 10" heavy duty chuck under all that. Those turnings are all from a 1/8" drill !!

Fifteen plates stacked on the side, one in the chuck. About 8,500 holes with three 1/8" stub drills.

In the meanwhile I was doing some POS Bridgeport double life drawbars, cut all the heads up in different lengths for step speed, varispeed and the extra long ones for the horizontal attachment.

Cut the bars up for the screws, got 48 out of what I bought.

Got the double length thread on all of them and about half of the short thread where it goes into the nut.

No thread wires were harmed in the cutting of these threads.

Sod it off down the pub for a pie and a pint, I think I deserve it.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Today is the day I get the stuck faceplate off my lathe spindle. It was stuck when I got it and has remained that way. I've repaired or replaced most of the lathe now - there's nothing left to do except get the damned thing off.

I bored a 1.5" hole in a 4x4, cut it in half on the bandsaw, and chiseled a mortise for the woodruff key that connects the spindle to the bull gear. I removed the spindle from the lathe, wrapped the fixture around it, and clamped the two halves tight in my vise. I put a 4' cheater on the face plate and gave it a sharp pull. The woodruff key ate the fixture up. So I took it all apart, found where the woodruff key stopped eating the fixture, and embedded a piece of steel there. Did it all up in the vise again, gave a yank, and the fixture split out.

My third and final try will involve me clamping the fixture together with steel straps and bar clamps. It's gonna be good for one more try.

Now I need a helper to make sure the spindle doesn't hit the floor.

-=-=-=-
    This is a low-probability event now. I'll likely have to come up with something else.

Stay Tuned.

Not today, but all last week......
    Small coasting barge, 6-cyl engine from 1968. Not run for 5 years, and left with the exhaust uncovered. result, rain and salt spray finding its way into the bores, engine seized absolutely solid. My job, to make it go.

Engine room:-

One good and one bad bore:-

Jacking arrangement, there's a piece of 6" dia brass bar on top of the piston and a 50 ton ram pushing it down:-

More in another posting........

Tim