Page 2 of 210 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do today?

I decided my new 3" x 4" tilting table needed clamps and t-nuts. So I made a few clamps out of some small thick-wall pipe.

They can be tightened down really quite tight, which surprised me somewhat. I still will probably make some more traditional ones with step blocks.

The table

Here are some of the clamps holding down a knob (for no particular reason other than the picture.)

Default pipe for clamps !!

J Tiers,

Thanks for posting that !!

Lenord

If you would have asked that question last week, I would have said a new tool post for a G&E shaper. Tool post is mystery steel, thoght it was mild but it was noticably tougher. Bolt is 4140PH, and the dog bone is A2 which some day I will heat treat if I ever get around to building an oven.

ME

Been making accessories for my 2x72 belt grinder that I just finished building. I would like to have several diameters of contact wheels, a platen and a fender to keep crap out of my face !
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Helped install another 50' of track on my local live steam railroad, our new line is almost complete. Just have to finish the switch tomorrow and add some more ballast. http://www.southerncalifornialiveste...ls.asp?id=3082

Pulled apart the X-axis drive on my Hurco. Took off the servo & the motor mount. Remove the ballscrew bearing housing. Pulled the table keeper plates & the gib. Removed the table, flipped it over, removed all the X-axis auto-oiling system. Replaced the five metering valves, blew out all the lines. Checked the ways & the Turcite, it's great except for the missing piece (?). Put it all back together.
    Now, I won't have to oil the X-axis ways with a brush anymore, and I can remount the chip shields! Tomorrow, have to reset the gib & reshim the keeper plates, and fix the graphics CRT driver board.

I finished installing my new Teco VFD for the lathe. One minor setback and it was done. Works great. Thanks for all the info on the site, I perused it all before placing the order.

Then I worked on the door for my in the process of being built shop wood stove. That project has taken longer than I thought.

Then lastly I started working on the basketball goal I'm building for my kids, which will all be from scratch, quite literally because part of the wood is from a tree on my property that I cut down.

Oh, and I snuck ice cream to my 3 year old daughter at the store, and despite her wearing half of it on the ride home, I got by the mommy radar without getting caught.

A fairly productive day.
    Dan from Raleigh, NC

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.

Got a little further on this:

It's a full underdrive stand for my 10" Lewis shaper. I've had the bloody thing for some three years now, never liked the "cobbled" rear drive that came with it (Lewis' were sold as "kits" to be finished, you made your own drive) and decided to make a stand/drive/tray cabinet like the older Logans had.

This has been a "spare time" project for at least three months now- and that's after I made the basic box, tray and foot almost three years ago, and then let it sit- but it's getting close. The internal motor mount and jackshaft is done, later this evening I'l set the shaper back on top and give it a final test fit and test run before I blow it all back apart for bodywork and paint.

Oh, and I have to make a latch for the door.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Besides trying to figure out how to make a better widget, I've been eating a lot of Fudgee wafer stix. Mmm. Got some sun today, walked about here and there. Looked for (and found) some copper and got some good laughs from people I asked about it- the classic line- "ooh, that's gonna cost a pretty penny", or "I don't know WHERE you're gonna find THAT now". Or some reference to copper having been launched somehow "Oh, that stuff's gone through the roof ". Or a suggestion that I was going to lose a limb or two over it- "gonna cost you an arm and a leg"-

Made a few drawings, went for breaky at a place where I used to go, and apparently wasn't going to be welcome (according to someone who isn't very happy with me these days)- they were so nice to me. They make great pancakes with real strawberries and real syrup, yummy.

Paid some bills- that was costly. Now I'm thinking of going out for a french vanilla- hmm

Mowed the grass for the first time this spring.
    Finished grouting the wall tile in the kitchen.
    Made 3 parts for a customer on the lathe.
    Went to the nursery, time to start the garden.