Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do today?

I've been wanting to make some soft jaws for the vise for awhile.

Andy

Adding up scrap:

Some of this

and this

equals this

and adding some of this

gives you this

Everything came as scrap from a local shop. The holes had been incorrectly placed in the 4"x5"x3/16" tubing. The 2 1/2"x3/16" angles had been cut to the wrong length. The 3/8" super-flat plate leftovers weren't large enough for the jobs they had planned in the near future.

Now we have a 80"x56" fabrication table that's really flat and sturdy.

Mowed the yard and serviced the riding mower. Then I mowed the North 3 acres with the tractor and rotary mower.

Attended a City Commissioners meeting that got hot and heavy.

Well, you asked.
    It's only ink and paper

Nice projects everyone nicely done!!

Drove out to my old homestead i just sold and picked up the last few things,
    forgot the danged ladder so going back once more to get it.

Local kid in the scholastic trap league dropped off his shotgun with a rusted interior to the magazine tube from the last time he shot out in the rain. Disassembled, used a brake cylinder hone to clean it up, and put back together so that he can shoot tomorrow. Remembered why I REALLY don't like the Browning Pump Shotgun. Hope it will be another ten years before I have another to work on.

David
    David Kaiser
    Montezuma, IA

Quote Originally Posted by winchman
    gives you this

Everything came as scrap from a local shop. The holes had been incorrectly placed in the 4"x5"x3/16" tubing. The 2 1/2"x3/16" angles had been cut to the wrong length. The 3/8" super-flat plate leftovers weren't large enough for the jobs they had planned in the near future.

Now we have a 80"x56" fabrication table that's really flat and sturdy.
    Winchman,

Nice job on the fab table. What is all of that flat stuff arount the legs? Is that what is known as floor space. Gotta get some more of that.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

A fellow brought in this old backhoe bucket the other day.

One tooth was completely missing, one bushing was gone, and he needed a new pin to mount in on the hoe arm.

We had some old teeth foff a trackhoe, and I cut one of them down to sorta fit as a replacement. Two pieces of scrap plate filled in the voids.

I machined a new bushing from a large brass nut which I had lengthened by adding brazing filler rod to one end. The pin itself was amde from scrap tooling shafts. The washer on the end that's bolted in place has a dowel to keep it from turning and loosening the nut.

Actual progress on the lathe, got the bed fastened and leveled (screws way, way better than shims ), empty headstock installed, countershaft support/stand close to done and in primer.

Now trying to decide what photo service to use so I can post pictures here [photobucket does not seem to be the stellar product it once was, so thinking ImageShack...]

We are installing a new tiller handle on my friends sailboat. Someone gave him a tiller extension minus the mating socket, so I turned one out of stainless:

And here it is installed: