Page 4 of 441 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do today?

Changing the engine on a chipper/shredder. B&S dont have parts ,(fuel tank and carburetor,) for the old 5 hp, or IF I can find em, they will be as much as Princess Auto's Chinese 6.5 hp engine- $120.00. BUT Murphy never sleeps. The old engine had a 1" crankshaft with a 1/4" keyway. The new one is 3/4" (turned down from 1") with a 3/16" keyway. Made a bushing, now to cut a stepped key. Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea
    Nice!
    Had been thinking of doing that for a long time as well, so it was a noticeable difference then?

Yes! Very big difference! I had my cross slide all adjusted perfectly before the bearing install. After the bearing install the cross slide moved so effortlessly I was able to tighten down the gibs more which should help in the never ending battle of eliminating the random atlas chatter. I am so pleased with the results I am going out today to measure up the carriage handwheel shaft to get bearings and do the same mod. I just replaced the bushing for the handwheel a few months ago because it had some side to side slop in it. But now I see the light of bearings and want them everywhere! lol

Today as far as building stuff I may make a new cross slide nut. I already made a new screw and now have the bearings installed so the only thing left for the cross slide is the nut.

Some great stuff people built already in this thread! It makes my day to see things people have built or are working on. It also gives me great motivation.

The little tilt table now has the last part needed, table keys. Longways and crossways both, just in case I need both.

It's convenient that the mill table works with 3/8" keystock, just a little trimming needed, usually.

I also finished a wall plastering job I have needed to do for a year or three ....... no machining content on that one.

Last edited by J Tiers; 03-14-2010 at 08:40 PM.

I bought a Bridgeport two weeks ago so decided to put a heater in the garage since I'll be spending more time out there. I took a bunch of drywall off one wall in preparation for the plumber to run the gas line. Took the opportunity to hang a couple extra 220V and 110V outlets while the drywall was out of the way. The plumber came out to give a quote last week and, of course, he'll be running the gas line up the wall directly behind the Bridgeport. So I spent today replacing the drywall I'd torn out, moving the Bridgeport out of the way, and tearing out the drywall for the gas line. I also got the heater hung (ceiling mount, wasn't particularly pleasant) and ran the line for the thermostat. I'm still working up the nerve to cut a hole in the roof for the vent.

Guess I'll get more practice tramming the head when I move the mill back into its corner.

Sir John, Earl of Pubwater, I'm concerned- did you find your 50 pence?

It was 61F outisde today so I eneded up raking and picking up sticks from winter. I did get time to get out and start working on that cross feed nut today, just have to drill and tap the two holes.

I snapped a 1/2" dia x 2" length M42 roughing endmill like snapping a pencil in half. It slapped the wall like someone threw a rock.

Tomorrow I will order a new one to finish the job.
    It's only ink and paper

Quote Originally Posted by darryl
    Sir John, Earl of Pubwater, I'm concerned- did you find your 50 pence?
    But of course, this was priority, how could I go to the pub on Sunday without my 50 pence ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I built these two fixtures:

for lifting a set of transmission shaft and gear assemblies:

after they're assembled on the stands I built several months ago:

Last edited by winchman; 03-16-2010 at 04:02 AM.

I finished the nut cross feed nut and there was little improvement. I think an adjustable nut would be the only way to get .050 or better backlash with the little acme screw.