Page 51 of 451 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do today?

Hopefully learned how to post a video on here, of the stirling engine that I finished recently. I tried to post one before but didn't succeed, it is designed by Jerry Howell.

Nice work, loved the sound, sounded like a tiny D8 ticking over!
    Mark

Looks like a well-designed and well-made Stirling engine. I plan to build one soon.

Today (well, yesterday) I resurrected my B&D electric mower, which had been under a tarp for a year and one of the blade shafts was pretty solidly frozen, requiring removal, cleaning and oiling. When I replaced the belts and used it for a few minutes, it suddenly made a snapping sound (I may have hit a rock) and I was sure that one of the belts had broken (as had the old original ones from, like, 1970). But I had not fully tightened one of the blades, and after fixing that, it is now OK!

It's nice to resurrect stuff, love it, I saw dozens of mowers bikes exercise machines fish tanks and god knows what at the landfill site, they won't let you take them, or even buy them, waste it is an waste it stays as the bloke said to me as I tried to run off with a weightlifting weight, nice round iron thing, nice stand I thought, not to be though.
    There should be classes in school for repairing things, more use the binomials, Latin and modern dance
    Mark

Loose blade, that's nice when you find that it is a simple fix. Thanks for the compliments on the Stirling. I have several tools and pieces of equipment that have been patched up and repaired and I like them better than new just because they have been saved from the junk pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Tried removing the cam lock chuck from my lathe. Turned the locks counterclockwise as instructed by the manual, but the chuck won't budge. ???????
    After I loosen the cams I have to hit the chuck with a deadblow hammer to release it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL46 View Post
    After I loosen the cams I have to hit the chuck with a deadblow hammer to release it.

Mike
    I feel kind of foolish because it never occurred to me that I was only supposed to turn the cams 45 degrees. Once done correctly the chuck came right off. Would have been nice if the thing had some witness marks on it. Better still, if I had used my head and thought it through, rather than getting in a panic, I would not have to be on here admitting my ignorance.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

We went to the zoo yesterday. They got in some old animals. They wouldn't let us feed them either. I thought the fence they used was a bit inadequate and totally expected a Jurassic park outbreak.

Andy

Extremely frustrated day. Friday I blew a front tyre on the Jcb backhoe and we are using it heavily on some jobs at the moment, I thought at the time old age and lifting something too heavy had caused the valve to blow out because by the time I got it back onto solid ground the valve core was missing.The wheel nuts refused to budge, I broke two decent quality half inch drive extensions trying to crack them off, painted atf mixed with acetone on them, heated them, hit them with a hammer to shock them etc. The impact gun failed to undo them also, then I reverted to a old hit with hammer impact wrench and managed to break that. I also noticed a tube inside the rim while working on it, so assumed the core had tore from the tube instead.
    Finally by midday, after machining up a 1/2 drive extension from a axle half shaft and managing to snap that, it was declared need bigger stuff, and purchased a facom 3/4 drive socket + extension, I already had one of their crack bars and T bars and know they are pretty good stuff. The price still makes me wince but quality costs.
    We also chased round trying to buy a new innertube 16x9.00 on a saturday, most places didnt have the size, but the one that did refused to sell me one loose until I brought the wheel in, so he could verify it was the right size and mount it for me, as he claimed safety laws meant he couldnt sell tubes to walk in customers. No amount of arguing would shift him and I dont believe there is any such "law" so I walked out, he asked me on my way out if I was going to get the wheel, "no I'm going to go buy one online where they want my custom" I told him. Go online, select size, click, done, be here by tuesday along with two new tyres for the rear of my massey harris pony tractor, no wonder bricks and mortar companies are struggling, thats a few hundred bucks of custom on this one transaction alone just walked out the door.

Then, with aid of a LARGE cheater tube, I managed to crack the nuts off and remove the wheel, broke the bead on the tyre using the machines hydraulic jack legs, and removed the heavy ribbed loader tyre with some tyre spoons by hand, found a nail through the sidewall, and a tube with 9 patches on it already (not my handywork, I always put new tubes in).
    Relax if your worried about me dying when blowing out a tractor tyre inflating it, I have a wander hose with a remote gauge and we inflate them inside a cage. Which the "safe" garage didnt appear to be doing on the truck tyres mounted while I was there.

Good stout machine, but 8 ton, everything on it is BIG and a fight to get on and off. The jack legs are fantastic tyre bead breakers though.

"Brick and Mortar" places like that deserve to go out of business.
    ,,,lew,,,