Page 278 of 291 FirstFirst ... 178228268276277278279280288 ... LastLast
Results 2,771 to 2,780 of 2902

Thread: What did you do today?

We had a big thaw here, followed by a rain/ice storm. We did get a bit of snow here overnight, but only about 1/2". I wish we got dumped on as I want to go sledding . All the trails are now closed around here as they're either grass, or bobsleigh tracks.

Heading down into the basement today to do some workbench cleanup and dig out the 3d printer to play with the kids. It's a nice sunny day to go outside and fell some trees but I tweaked my back yesterday taking the garbage down to the corner. Everything is ICE, and I fell HARD twice. 2nd time My phone popped out of my pocket and slide down the snowbank into the creek. Got it out and it seems to be working as normal with no problems so I think I dodged a bullet there lol. Still feel like I got hit by a truck though. Had a friend come out with his sander last night and go over my driveway and the neighbors side road (where I fell) so hopefully it's a little easier going now. Our driveway always gets icy, and it's tough to stay ahead of it, but this year has been the worst.

Bright, sunny and warm here, about 22F, nearly shirtsleeves weather. Much nocer than 34 and raining, which I think we will have shortly.

s'posed to get ice and lower temps overnight.

Been fixing other people's problems, not getting much done here. Scraping project is languishing, I get a little done every so often.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    We had a big thaw here, followed by a rain/ice storm. We did get a bit of snow here overnight, but only about 1/2". I wish we got dumped on as I want to go sledding . All the trails are now closed around here as they're either grass, or bobsleigh tracks.

Heading down into the basement today to do some workbench cleanup and dig out the 3d printer to play with the kids. It's a nice sunny day to go outside and fell some trees but I tweaked my back yesterday taking the garbage down to the corner. Everything is ICE, and I fell HARD twice. 2nd time My phone popped out of my pocket and slide down the snowbank into the creek. Got it out and it seems to be working as normal with no problems so I think I dodged a bullet there lol. Still feel like I got hit by a truck though. Had a friend come out with his sander last night and go over my driveway and the neighbors side road (where I fell) so hopefully it's a little easier going now. Our driveway always gets icy, and it's tough to stay ahead of it, but this year has been the worst.
    Someday, check out the cost difference between a set of ice cleats and a run to the emergency room in the ambulance. Yak Trax help a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
    Bought a snow blower (2nd hand toro 828 LE)T
    Check out the gearbox between the two augers. It probably has grease in it which gets rubbed out of the worm gear causing premature failure. Filling it with oil will likely quadruple its lifespan. Note that the input bearing probably has no seal so expect oil to leak out so fill it regularly.

-40 here again this morning,you would have no problem sledding here 2 ft on the ground.I wiped out a few weeks loading grain,hip has healed up good now.

Quote Originally Posted by RMinMN View Post
    Check out the gearbox between the two augers. It probably has grease in it which gets rubbed out of the worm gear causing premature failure. Filling it with oil will likely quadruple its lifespan. Note that the input bearing probably has no seal so expect oil to leak out so fill it regularly.
    The previous owner mentioned that, said it was oil in it though, he's replaced it once. Machine is 6 years old but the paint looks unused, pretty impressive. But he did say he sold it because the municipality shovels his farms driveway for him and he has his own tractor to boot, so it basically sat mostly in his shed, well it looks like it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RMinMN View Post
    Someday, check out the cost difference between a set of ice cleats and a run to the emergency room in the ambulance. Yak Trax help a bunch.
    I have about 5-10 pairs of different slip on ice cleats. They are sitting with my ice fishing gear...... You can lead a horse to water......

Sun's been out all morning and the salt/sand has broken up all the driveway ice now. It's much, much better.

Summer project is to build a sander for the back of the Jeep. Now that the rear frame/suspension is fixed I can put some weight back there. I'm thinking an IBD tote tipped on a 45 and cut in half would provide a nice sized container for that would fit perfect back there. The rest of it should be easy enough to fabricobble something together for.

Tundra I'd love to head out your way to the mountains one day for a sled trip. I'd need a different machine though, as I don't think my old Vmax would do so good in the deep stuff lol.

Tundra I'd love to head out your way to the mountains one day for a sled trip. I'd need a different machine though, as I don't think my old Vmax would do so good in the deep stuff lol.
    Ya Dan riding the high country of BC interior is kinda of like heaven,I drive 5-10 hrs west to ride there.3" paddle tracks are the $hit for the real deep stuff a meter plus,I'm riding 15 doo 174"x3" track right now.There a snowbike project in the shop now,155"x3" paddle track 12" wide,pretty pumped to see it go
    will do some preliminary testing at home here then head out to the mountains to see how it performs.

174"? You'd never be able to get that thing turned around in the trails out here lol. Watching some youtube stuff of what you guys get into out there in the backcountry and it looks awesome. Very different than what we get here. Even a couple hours north of me where where they get "real" amounts of snow still doesn't compare. Looks mega fun, and the views must be amazing.

Those snow bikes look fun too. Was trying to convince my neighbor to buy one a couple years ago so I could ride it . They won't let them on the trails here (no tracked atvs either), so you're pretty limited on where you can ride them. I'm sure they'd be wicked fun out in the powder.

I've never been west yet. Wife is scared to let me go, as I might not make it back . I'm sure I could make a nice home for myself in the foothills somewhere.

Took delivery of the new to me jeep. Neighbor has an rtv1100. Fun machine for around our property here.
    My first reaction after borrowing it was wow=LOUD inside. Having had a gator I liked the rear for carrying stuff (saws, shooting bags, wood etc) but I hardly utilized the “dump” feature.
    I preferred to haul gravel/dirt/debris in my dump trailer (maybe I was “overprotective.”) Anyway, flipped the gator for a dozer and began to look. I didn’t see the value (for me) in a 23k++w plow/options. Used were still overpriced.

Begin to analyze what I exactly wanted/ needed.

4wd
    Easy to repair
    Reliable
    2 seats
    Some weather protection in winter or rain but I do like nature, spring-fall and prefer no doors during that time
    Plow
    Some ability to haul stuff
    Ability to tow

Bonus items:
    Pto
    3 point hitch
    Dump
    Roadworthy

In the end, 1963 cj5
    Pto (run my sawmill)
    plow
    (it had a 3 pt hitch in past life, first owner used to post hole dig as fence contractor ) will add it in future
    Soft top

Overall nearly same size as rtv1100 (bit more narrow and bit more ground clearance with the 32”$ so great on my swampy trails where we have a good deal of standing water (generally less than 18”)
    Same length, quiet, reasonable to fix/repair, road worthy is trade off for dump in the end. It may not be for everyone but for a few thousand, I am happy.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com