Page 449 of 459 FirstFirst ... 349399439447448449450451 ... LastLast
Results 4,481 to 4,490 of 4584

Thread: What did you do today?

Quote Originally Posted by Cenedd View Post
    Got suckered today. Bought one of those magnetic swarf collecting sticks that I thought would be useful for - well, collecting swarf. Gave it a quick try.....and was surprised to find it just snaps to the chip tray or the ways. Goes to show you; educated doesn't mean not stupid!
    May at least remove some of the finer splinters from around the mill area that keep getting me; although if I ever complete the move to a steel bench...!
    Even better after you magnetize the lathe bed and mill table so that the swarf sticks and stands pointy end up..

Quote Originally Posted by Cenedd View Post
    Got suckered today. Bought one of those magnetic swarf collecting sticks that I thought would be useful for - well, collecting swarf. Gave it a quick try.....and was surprised to find it just snaps to the chip tray or the ways. Goes to show you; educated doesn't mean not stupid!
    May at least remove some of the finer splinters from around the mill area that keep getting me; although if I ever complete the move to a steel bench...!
    One of these with the long handle is handy for picking up swarf on the floor that's stringy and clings to a broom but no use whatsoever for cleaning off the mill table or lathe chip pan.

I stopped in at the local thrift shop. I usually ignore the glass cases with watches, cameras and jewelry. Today a person was blocking the aisle with a stroller so I checked out the merchandise under glass while waiting for her to move on. I spotted a baggie full of combination wrenches for $8. On closer inspection there were 3 baggies with 8 to 12 Craftsman wrenches per bag. These were the old ones with crisp lettering and nicely ground edges.

I'd been thinking of picking up a few more wrenches from Harbor Freight to dedicate to individual machines or to modify to fit odd spaces so I bought all three bags. They were having a 25% off sale, so the price dropped to $6 each. Then they added a Senior citizen discount and it went down to $15 for the whole mess. One bag of SAE and two bags of Metric.

Pictures? No Need. You guys have seen wrenches before.
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Aren't you glad you didn't stop at Harbor Freight first? Incidentally, You suck
    Last edited by Dave C; 09-12-2019 at 01:39 AM.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Replaced the lights in my loft - aka the place I'm crating and storing everything that doesn't need to be taking up the space I don't have in my 'shop.
    Put in some LED tape a few years back and they've slowly been popping and got to the point where there are more blown than working. Picked up some 20W LED fittings with Samsung LEDs (not for the power saving so much as cutting down heat output!) in them for about ten bucks each. They're supposed to be fitted into existing light grills but the mounting clips screw to a wooden batton just as well. Some Wago connectors in boxes (hey, if you're gonna do something eh?) and the smallest twin & earth available (more than ten time over-rated still) and with four of them up there for the coverage around the stacks of stuff it, like daylight.
    Joy of a job though. All the timber up there is that rough sawn stuff that seems to be like concentrated splinters. And woe betide you if you should disturb the insulation!
    A beer, a shower and some time with the tweezers fixed it though

[
    [Pictures? No Need. You guys have seen wrenches before.
    We've seen wenches before too but we still like pictures of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RMinMN View Post
    [

We've seen wenches before too but we still like pictures of them.
    one day I'm going to get some stickers made for my bike that say "I STOP FOR WrENCHES"

Built a banner stand for the church. First project out of my new shop since we moved to South Dakota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had been hearing increasing noise and poor performance from my Remington electric chainsaw, so I thought it was bad motor bearings. But when I took it apart, I found this:

It's a rather special part, and I don't see any way to fix it or make a new one. It's about 20 years old, or more, and parts are probably no longer available.

[edit]Seems it is available, for just $5 + $8 shipping. Maybe I'll buy two and have a spare to use when it wears out again - in 20 years!
    http://partsfor.com/107713-01-reming...-10771301.html

So, I decided to replace the carburetor on my Poulan Pro chainsaw. It looks like the fuel line was clogged, so I replaced it:

The new carburetor required some modification to the cover to clear the linkage, and then I added fuel and tried to start it. It cranked a few times, and then jammed up. I had forgotten to release the chain clutch, but that wasn't the problem. It was blasted recoil spring again

I was able to bend it back into reasonable shape, but I think this time I will just replace the spring with a solid piece. I found that 3/4" EMT conduit is the right size, so I might be able to cut a piece with tangs to engage the holes where the spring ends fit. But I'm not sure it will be strong enough. I can probably just use pins or bolts and nuts to fasten the two pieces together.

Last edited by PStechPaul; 09-13-2019 at 09:48 PM. Reason: part

Default Repairing a Curb Find Sears Compressor

Today I made a fitting for the air intake for a curb find Sears 3-1/2 HP, 26 Gallon oil-less air compressor. The original only had a plastic air filter (cheap bastards) like this:

They want over $20 for that piece of crap, so I made an aluminum adapter that I pressed into the head of the compressor. It looks like this:

I don't have a mill, so this is done with a hacksaw and a file! I ordered a METAL air filter attachment from China, so I haven't completed the tapping of the hole (it's 1/4" NPT). I just stuck a brass 1/4" pipe in it for evaluation.

The air compressor needed a new cylinder and piston ring, which I received yesterday. I'm posting this guide, so that anyone who needs to replace the ring on this piston can find the info here (the kit to rebuild everything has been discontinued). Hopefully, GOOGLE will index this guide. The piston is number CAC-1118 and up until last night, I had no idea as to how the ring went on the piston (it looks like a single piece, but it is NOT).

The outside ring (that 1/4" wide outside ring) is removable. Take a thin blade screwdriver and insert it fully in the slot and pry it up slightly. Work your way around the piston, prying the ring up a little at a time. As the gap gets wider, insert larger screwdrivers and proceed as before. Soon, the ring will pop off, so that you can install your new ring. The retaining ring has to be pressed back on, so I used a vise and worked it on slowly as I advanced around the piston. Here is a picture of the piston with the new ring:

Here's a picture with the piston inside the new cylinder, ready to be installed:

I also cleaned and repacked the bearing that the piston rides on. I need to wait for the air cleaner so that I can finish tapping the adapter, then I can reassemble everything and have myself a fairly cheap compressor (although IMHO, oil-less compressors are junk).