Page 191 of 249 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201241 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 2484

Thread: What did you do today?

Today? No more like the last week, been struggling with the tapered gib on my Deckel, it was stuck so incredibly hard in place I wasn't sure I was gonna get it out. But after a week of trying and having probably put tons worth of force on it via a screw jig, as well as hammering on it and drenching the table in penetrating oil, it came out. Big relief! I had gotten lots of help on the PM Deckel section fortunately.

The gib shows signs of galling:

Now the next step is to get the table off and inspect the ways as well as repairing the gib. It has been suggested I might replace it though I am not that enthusiastic about doing that, since it would probably be hundreds of euros, I don't have any money to spare at this point so...

It might be worth making a replacement out of cast iron bar. You can clean up the existing gib enough to function to allow you to make the replacement if you don't have additional milling capacity. After that, you can scrape the table and new gib to fit.

If you have additional milling/grinding capacity, a good way to replicate the taper on the existing gib is to use it as a shim under the material when machining the new one. That's how I made the replacement carriage gib for my hardinge HLV.

This gib is steel however but yes I might consider making my own gib.

The selection steel as material for the gib appears to be to preserve the cast iron surfaces longer, as the gib will wear instead of the cast iron (lapping principle in action, felt counter intuitive to me as well at first).

You need to scrape the gib to fit.

Steel is "not my favorite material" fo scraping.... the translation there is that it sucks.

CI would be much nicer to work with, and the difference in your use is likely to be unmeasurable, or nearly so.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I am going to borrow a friends straight edge and scraping tools this weekend, then I will fill in the low spots in the galled area with epoxy so it doesn't accumulate dirt.

The plus side is that the steel gib can for instance be tig welded to build up a new retatining edge.
    Last edited by DennisCA; 11-22-2018 at 12:41 AM.

Had leftovers late last night, and just had leftovers again. I'm super stuffed.

Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Had leftovers late last night, and just had leftovers again. I'm super stuffed.

I'm guessing turkey and peas but what is that thing on top?

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    I'm guessing turkey and peas but what is that thing on top?
    It's gravy with some turkey, gravy with some mash potatoes with plenty of pepper, and peas in cream sauce. I also cut a biscuit in half and soak it with gravy. Main course is always gravy

Edit: I also always cut the turkey up into small bite sizes so it soaks up the gravy more with additional surface areas
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    It's gravy with some turkey, gravy with some mash potatoes with plenty of pepper, and peas in cream sauce. I also cut a biscuit in half and soak it with gravy. Main course is always gravy

Edit: I also always cut the turkey up into small bite sizes so it soaks up the gravy more with additional surface areas
    Looked like sweetened* potato mash casserole, a traditional christmas time food in here

*)potato mash is sweetened by amylase reaction at around 60 C temperature, not sure if there is better term in english than "sweetened"

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Looked like sweetened* potato mash casserole, a traditional christmas time food in here
    I like mash potatoes with lots of gravy and plenty of pepper sprinkled on top. It's more like soup
    Work hard play hard