Page 239 of 249 FirstFirst ... 139189229237238239240241 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,390 of 2484

Thread: What did you do today?

Walked around Hong Kong, just as I did for the past four days...

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Thanks. The local Microcenter has SSDs, $20 for 120 GB, $30 for 240 GB, and $55 for 480 GB. They also have HDDs, $10 for 250 GB, and $15 for 320 GB, but I think they are 3.5". Their 2.5 GB drives stat at $42.

I can buy a copy of Windows 10 Pro for $112. Or I can buy a Dell Latitude E6520 for $280, with 120 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, and Win 10 Pro. Or an HP Elite Book 850 GR for $389 with 240 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, and Win 10 Pro.

But those are all black, and I really would prefer silver or gold or any lighter color. Not a deal breaker, though.

My biggest peeve with Win10 (and 8.1) is that it won't run my TuboCad version, or any of the Windows Live programs such as Mail and Movie Maker. I was able to use Thunderbird and Power Director, but I really prefer the older, simpler programs. And the default Win10 Mail is crap.
    120GB gets too small very quickly. 240GB and above should be fine depending how much stuff you need to store on the machine. Seems very cheap though. Would recommend making sure it's a decent brand as you'll be trusting it with your data.
    If the machine has had Windows 10 on it already - which you said it had - you won't need to buy it again.
    The Windows 10 mail app is what it is but if you don't like it, Thunderbird should do for most things (Exchange being the exception - although I've not looked for a while, it may do that now). If you're in any way connecting to the internet (and email implies you will be) you're better to be using an operating system that is kept up to date against some of the risks and work out the software issues or alternatives as necessary. If you're running Windows 10 Pro, you could use Hyper-V to run a Windows XP virtual machine or if you're using Home, there are alternatives such as VM Ware Player that are free. That way you could run any software you need that won't run under Windows 10 even with Compatibility Options. You'd want a Windows XP machine never to go on the internet once fully updated though.

Not today, but keeping on welding and modifying a shop crane, not done in the picture yet. But pretty close.

The previous homeowner was a terrible carpenter. He seemed to like to spend lots of money on expensive lumber only to make it into really crappy workbenches. Lots of crappy workbenches that waste lots of space. I kept talking myself out of making a giant sacrificial fire to honor the great workbench gods because I thought there must be some way to re-allocate materials for something actually useful (besides heat and marshmallow toasting).

So here's the efforts of just some of the plywood and 2x4s from four crappy workbenches. Shelves made from 3/4" plywood. I think I could park a car on them without so much as a creek out of them.

Not so bad for free materials.

Last edited by Fear; 01-02-2019 at 07:29 AM.

That's quite colorful, and organized!

Today (Wednesday) I spread some gravel on my muddy driveway. Then I had a dental appointment. On the way back I stopped at a local computer repair store, where he agreed that the symptoms I described indicated HDD failure. Back home, I decided to play with the Toshiba laptop a bit more, and I was able to access the Toshiba service utility where I selected erase HDD. I expected it to report problems with the drive, but it proceeded to do the erase, showing up to 5% done and about 3 hours to go. It was on battery, and when I plugged it in, it shut down. I restarted, and it reported no bootable media. I accessed the BIOS setup (F12) and set boot order to CD/DVD first, and tried an UBUNTU 14.04.3 disc. Surprise - it came up with a selection menu, and I chose to install it, expecting it to choke on the failed HDD. But it went through the process, reported "no OS detected", and it erased the disc and went through the complete install. It seems to work fine, although it experienced an error when trying to update to newest version.

So, WTF happened with Win 10? Did one of the updates trash the disc? Is it now fixed, or just a time bomb? There must be a CHKDSK utility in Linux. I was able to sort of connect my Win8 computer via the WiFi network but it is not showing the shared files (it did once), and my Win8 computer asks for a password but then says network path not found. I detest networking!

There is a chkdsk in Linux, it's fsck. Try this except if it finds bad blocks you want to be replacing the disk as it generally signals the beginning of the end.
    If you know the brand of the hard disk, some manufacturers make some diagnostic tools available free. You can usually burn a bootable CD and then start the laptop off that to check out the disk.
    What are you trying to connect the Win8 computer to? If it's Windows networking (Linux would have to have Samba installed and configured to take part in this) without a server, the machine acting as server has to have a local user set up with a username and password that matches the computer trying to access it. (Or the client specifies one that does exist).

I remember installing Samba when I first tried to access the network from the Ubuntu machine. It found the Win8 computer (PES-DELL15) and I was able to access some of the folders and files therein. Similarly, the Win8 machine finds the Toshiba laptop (PAUL-SATELLITE-?), but the Windows Network Security pop-up asked for a user name and network password. I tried several combinations, and what was accepted was (IIRC) "paul" and my WiFi password. But now it complains that "The network path was not found".

Meanwhile, I found a system check on the Ubuntu machine, and it went through various diagnostics. When it got to the screen brightness test, I tried the function keys (F2/F3) for that, but I may have tapped the wrong key, and it said "disconnecting from network" (IIRC), and showed just a blinking cursor. I used the power button to shut down, an upon restart, I got the Ubuntu log-in screen, but when I logged in, the blinking cursor re-appeared. I clicked on the keys that I may have pressed, one of which (F4) looks like a switch between internal and external monitor. At one point the cursor disappeared, but came back when I pressed a key.

I used thethree-finger salute (alt-ctrl-del), and got an Ubuntu screen indicating it found a disk error in \tmp. I clicked "F" and it went through some more checking and now I am trying to update to 16.04, but it says "The required dependency 'apt(>=1.0.1ubuntu2.13)' is not installed. I used the "files" explorer and chose "Browse Network", where I got the pop-up for pes-dell15 user="paul", domain="WORKGROUP". I entered the "Homegroup" password, and connected, but I get "permission denied" for some folders. From the Win8 machine I am getting the prompt for user name and network password, but so far nothing is being accepted.

Progress?

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    ....Progress?
    Replied by private message Paul. Probably a bit too off topic for most.
    Gareth

More trail work while weather holds. Dug out one boulder, found 2, who needs a thumb? (Tho I would like to add one)
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com