Page 246 of 249 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 2484

Thread: What did you do today?

Good, safe, job DennisCA. I agree with your method. That's a lot of weight to handle. Have fun with your new machine.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

finished a major job this week - adding new lights and a fan to the kitchen, partly because I wanted a more mellow set of lights than the 4x4ft LED tubes in the overhead recess and partly because I found it really annoying having to walk around to the other side of the kitchen in the dark to turn the lights on.

I didn't actually plan how long a light strip I needed for the kitchen, so it turned out the 5m strip of 2700K high CRI (supposedly) wasn't enough. Got around that by cutting the strips into their 3 LED units and spacing them apart on the under counter lights (alu strip from a closet door rail, believe it or not). Was super tedious wiring them all together.

light strips for the overhead light

dimmers (one for under counter lights, one for overhead) and 2nd power supply. The first one lasted an hour as it was a 24W unit with a 60W sticker on it. That'll teach me.

under counter strips with some diffuser plastic (bulk trash find) as a cover, mounted on stand offs made from a piece of small diameter metal pipe (possibly from a toilet roll holder)

dim shot of the overhead light so you can see where the strips are

bright shot, I like the light colour. You can also see the new fan that I installed. Running the wire for that was not fun and required machining some adapters so I could use my socket extensions to hole saw a hole in the side of the box between the light recess and fan hole.

one side of the kitchen

and the other

and some lights under the island more for fun than anything. Makes a nice "don't walk into the dishwasher" light for the nights.

now onto the next project, a new work bench

I finally finished sorting and labeling all of my small hardware (#2-#10, M2-M6). Everything larger is up in my mezzanine and I'll finished labeling that this weekend.

Work hard play hard

My small metric hardware, and set screws, and misc

Work hard play hard

Key "Stalk"?

I got some bronze bushings from AliExpress:

I found an interesting little booklet my father got when he was in Germany during WWII:

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Key "Stalk"?
    Whops, I'll fix that

Does anyone know what you call these types of nuts? It's like they are some type of rivet nut but not sure. There are some threads inside then. Unfortunately my fasteners book doesn't mention them.

Work hard play hard

Hi Loks.
    High tech aircraft fastener nut in the left bin. The bolt has a flat head and is made to close tolerances. Hole is reamed and the bolt is tapped into place and the nut is tightened with a special tool til the back part breaks off.
    Not useful for much else besides fastening metal structures in aircraft, AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Bramage View Post
    Hi Loks.
    High tech aircraft fastener nut in the left bin. The bolt has a flat head and is made to close tolerances. Hole is reamed and the bolt is tapped into place and the nut is tightened with a special tool til the back part breaks off.
    Not useful for much else besides fastening metal structures in aircraft, AFAIK.
    Ah yes, thanks! Some of this hardware came from my Dad and I bet he got these from Boeing surplus when we lived on Mercer Island, WA many years ago.
    Work hard play hard