Page 408 of 431 FirstFirst ... 308358398406407408409410418 ... LastLast
Results 4,071 to 4,080 of 4309

Thread: What did you do today?

What I used was actually called "trim", and it is not as stiff as the decking.

But the decking was not available as narrow. I was too lazy to cut it lengthwise, and did not think it would look very good unless I really worked on the cut edges. Might have been wrong.

On the "wine theme" bench, the slats were 3" nominal, or 2.5" actual width. the other one, (of which I have two) has slats 50mm wide actual, which is not a standard size of US board, and is highly inconvenient..

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Last night I cut up the fiberglass cap that had been on my Toyota pickup last year when a tree fell on it:

After a few minutes with an old carbide blade on my circular saw:

I'll be taking the sides and glass to the dump, but for now I'll keep the top part. It's about 4' x 6' heavy fiberglass and might be useful for something, maybe even a roof for a small shed. The edges are only about 1/4" thick but most of the middle seems to be maybe 1/2" or 3/4" thick. It's pretty heavy. Any ideas for other uses?

I had this little generator a while. I took it in to a local small engine shop to get it running. They explained they could not get the parts I needed. So I took matters into my own hands.
    https://youtu.be/UNx-3oXJZPA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decided to put together the up-to-now unused garden bench, which means I had to sandblast the cast iron parts. Way to big for a blast cabinet, so had to put up tarps outside.

Sheesh, I had forgotten how the fine white blasting medium flies around... Full face shield , but it was a sweaty task, and quite a bit of it stuck to me, down my neck, etc. next time I will have to remember to put a cloth over my head, I have some more stuff to clean up pretty soon. Blasting cabinets spoil a person.

Was the first time of using a new-to-me portable old Craftsman blasting setup, and I was impressed at how well it worked. Economical with air also, my little portable (also Craftsman) compressor kept up well, which I was not expecting it to. The blasting setup cost me a whopping 10 bucks, including about 40 lb of the fine white grit.... I think it has already paid for itself.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Messy job for sure. I use an old crash helmet with a clear face shield covered with the cloth full head shield that came with the HF blast rig. Also added a fitting in the helmet for a low pressure air line for cooling and keeping the dust out. Works pretty well.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

I've never broken a tap (now why would I go and tempt fate like that?!) but today I twisted one - it doesn't count as broken if it's still in one piece, right? Maybe it's just metamorphosed into a spiral flute!
    M2.5 was an interesting experience. Tapping chart sad 2.05mm drill. 2mm did not cut it, neither did 2.1mm. 2.2mm just about worked but it was threatening to twist the tap - set of three, by the way. I figured they were taper, plug and bottom but given that they all seem to have the same amount of taper on them, I'm gonna call them Try, Try and Try-again! 2.3mm made it a doddle....but we'll see how strong the thread is yet.

Can you tell what it is yet?!

Last edited by Cenedd; 06-21-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Add pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Cenedd View Post
    I've never broken a tap (now why would I go and tempt fate like that?!) but today I twisted one - it doesn't count as broken if it's still in one piece, right? Maybe it's just metamorphosed into a spiral flute!
    M2.5 was an interesting experience. Tapping chart sad 2.05mm drill. 2mm did not cut it, neither did 2.1mm. 2.2mm just about worked but it was threatening to twist the tap - set of three, by the way. I figured they were taper, plug and bottom but given that they all seem to have the same amount of taper on them, I'm gonna call them Try, Try and Try-again! 2.3mm made it a doddle....but we'll see how strong the thread is yet.

Can you tell what it is yet?!
    Carbide insert holder.

A 2.3mm drill is close to 55% thread engagement, should be okay. What is the material, any lube?
    I've never been lucky enough to twist a tap, they usually just snap.
    I realize it's softer but sometimes it's nice to have some "forgiveness" built into a tap.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Cenedd View Post
    Well thats something new with taps!

I have been using cheapo M2.5 taps from ebay and they have worked surprisingly well. Always power tap on hand-held setup, M2.5 is small enough that you can hold part in one hand and cordless drill in another.

Key stock blank? That's what I use, pretty easy to drill and tap. For best result you want to harden it so that it doesn't mangle so easily if insert breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Carbide insert holder.
    Yep. Double ended TCMT so I can chamfer the end of threads with one end and, clearance allowing, inside of bores with the other.

Had fun failing to calculate the centre of a triangle twice. Luckily I checked it visually and didn't wreck the part.

A 2.3mm drill is close to 55% thread engagement, should be okay. What is the material, any lube?
    It's an eBay-special length of 10mm square bar in either EN1 or EN3 - the latter if memory serves. CT90 cutting oil for lube but it seems that the thread charts were vastly optimistic on the thread engagement the tap would stand up to. Power tapped (with a hand tap) the first few turns just to get it straight and then hand-tapped the rest after changing the mangled tap.

I've never been lucky enough to twist a tap, they usually just snap.
    I realize it's softer but sometimes it's nice to have some "forgiveness" built into a tap.
    Yeah, I was surprised...but in a good way once I realised it was going to just back out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Well thats something new with taps!

I have been using cheapo M2.5 taps from ebay and they have worked surprisingly well. Always power tap on hand-held setup, M2.5 is small enough that you can hold part in one hand and cordless drill in another.

Key stock blank? That's what I use, pretty easy to drill and tap. For best result you want to harden it so that it doesn't mangle so easily if insert breaks.
    Given a machine tap and now knowing it needs 2.3mm starter hole, I think it'd power tap fine. Have two spares and don't anticipate doing too many of these so I'm going to refrain from buying all of the taps!

I've been looking at blow torches for a while (not the cheap throw-away type) with a view to trying some hardening and tempering. Not sure EN3 is particularly good for hardening though and I'm not sure what it'd do to dimensions etc.

I had a 3/8" x 10 tpi ACME tap twist. But, to be fair, it was home made from carbon steel, had no relief at all, and I obviously hadn't hardened it properly (my first home-hardening job). I ground off the twisted bit and used it a second time.