Page 412 of 431 FirstFirst ... 312362402410411412413414422 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,120 of 4309

Thread: What did you do today?

You'll be there before you know it. I was 70 yesterday. Today I'm 78. Where does the time go?
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

I doubt the cordless drill has the torque. 3/8-16 in one go is a lot of torque, especially in the "double-bubble" soft steel. It wanted to spin in every holder system I came up with, and I finally adjusted the die loose and did it in two passes. I don't want to take that ride, I'd rather use the hand die holder than hold the drill motor against that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenedd View Post
    Lathe steady with bearing tips but mounted on the bench instead of the ways? I've seen spiders mounted on the back end of the spindle for a similar purpose but there's nothing stopping you from taking it to extremes if you have the space for the rod to jut into.
    Yes, the turret lathe approach.

I have not got the room behind in the current toolroom setup. I've been trying to find ways to fit more in and yet have more room. Somehow, filling up a bag does not seem to make the bag bigger. I have not quite figured out why, it works for others.............

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post

There must be a slicker way to thread long rod than hand dies with the rod in a vise.
    The Ridgid Die Head mounted on Lathe works real slick,I also dreaded that job in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    There must be a slicker way to thread long rod than hand dies with the rod in a vise.
    It's a lot slicker if you actually have a vise. A woodworker's vice doesn't count. As for setting up the Wilton vise in the real workshop, you don't have a real workshop if you don't have a good vise set up.

If a few inches of 3/8 NC thread is hard, you need a longer-handled diestock or a better die, or both.

I'm not entirely BS'ing, this octogenarian 130 pound weakling put an inch and a half of 3/4" NC on each end of a 4' bar last week. It wasn't as much fun as I remembered from last time I did that, but the .003" oversize HRS didn't help. Neither did the cracked die, I had a hard time keeping the two parts in line.

I'll need a couple more of those soon. I'll be taking close to 15 thou off that bar's diameter with an angle grinder next time. A 3A fit is plenty good enough.

Is there any reason you didn't use allthread? A ten foot length of galvanized 3/8-16 in the electrical department is only about $6.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/STEEL-CITY-...ed-Rod/1087401

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    You'll be there before you know it. I was 70 yesterday. Today I'm 78. Where does the time go?
    10 years ago I was 29 and dating my wife, now in less than a year I'll be 40. I know, still young, but life seems like it is moving 2x to 3x faster than I would like, especially considering the time I am home with family is actually 6 months out of 12.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    10 years ago I was 29 and dating my wife, now in less than a year I'll be 40. I know, still young, but life seems like it is moving 2x to 3x faster than I would like, especially considering the time I am home with family is actually 6 months out of 12.
    Tis a slippery slope from 40. You'll start noticing that it's a much longer way back up from a crouch than it every used to be. You may also (depending on the age-gap) get to start playing parent to....your parents. Fun times. Just remember to get some shop time in (or whatever else floats your boat) and you'll be fine. Also worth doing something daft now and again....like the pub crawl I have planned for next month Beer shoulnd't be the currency of your sanity.....but *shrug* (just not at the same time as power tools!)

Spending the kids inheritance. Went by Metal Supermarket and raided the scrap bin. Then ran over to a local pawn shop and picked up this sweet set of B&S micrometers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=jdedmon91;1244805]Spending the kids inheritance. Went by Metal Supermarket and raided the scrap bin. Then ran over to a local pawn shop and picked up this sweet set of B&S micrometers

Too bad someone snitched the standards set that goes in that box! 6-12" ??

[QUOTE=PStechPaul;1244784]Is there any reason you didn't use allthread? A ten foot length of galvanized 3/8-16 in the electrical department is only about $6.

]QUOTE]

Other than "It would look like crap", he probably had no good reason at all.