Page 416 of 431 FirstFirst ... 316366406414415416417418426 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,160 of 4309

Thread: What did you do today?

Been in process of trying to fit aluminium rectangular tube to each of the axes of my mill to act as guards for the cheap scales that will go inside. Cut down the mount for the head's gas-lift the other day and re-blued it. Drilled all the mounting holes in the tube, got it on the column...and found the depth-stop got in the way. Had fun cutting that down today as the entire head has to come off to get the depth stop off. A quick trim on one edge lets it clear the tube. A mm taken off the wedge on one side means it can now be put back on without taking the head off again. Re-blued the edges and called it a day - it's 30C in the workshop with no ventilation to speak of.

Was quite please that it stood up to side milling with a roughing cutter at 0.5mm depth of cut and 20mm engagement. Yeah, I know it's a long way from Abom chips...but it's usable!

You ended up being bang-on Cenedd. There was a metal cylinder capacitor underneath the cardboard, which has ratings on it. The top of the can has a small section that is starting to swell, so I'm going to replace the capacitor anyhow. For the cost of a starting capacitor it's cheap insurance to prevent a future issue.

Ran a megger test on the windings this morning as well. When my Opa (grandfather for you non-Dutch/German folk) passed away almost 4 years ago I kept a megger that I had found while cleaning out his warehouse. That warehouse was a mess packed full of mostly unsalvagable stuff that had not been touched in ~10 years. Not garbage per say, but things from various business ventures that had accumulated over the years and no one would want. It had become overwhelming for him, and at a certain point he became embarrassed by it and just shut the door and never went back in. Cleaning it up was not really a nice way to remember him, although between the brothers and nephews we made the best of it. Being able to actually use a tool salvaged out of that mess today was a nice feeling.

Well, it finally happened. One of the large burners on my stove burned out. Darn thing didn't even last 38 years...

I was boiling up some smokies and when I went to check on them, the water wasn't boiling and when I lifted the pot up and disturbed the coil I got quite a surprising little arc show!

I hate when that happens, and to add insult to injury it never checks itself out when you`re not using it.

I`m in the process of replacing an AC unit that barely lasted 45 years before the magic smoke came out. Should have changed it out a few weeks ago but it was too hot out, then it rained and it was too cold and wet. Today or maybe tomorrow seem just about right.
    I never knew the concept of procrastination until I retired....I think I`ve got it mastered now.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I never knew the concept of procrastination until I retired....I think I`ve got it mastered now.
    Oh yeah, that's what planning is all about. Why do it today when you can plan for it tomorrow or next week. That's what plans are for--So you can procrastinate.

Wife's working all weekend, so the MIL took the kids to the zoo, and I cut grass for about 7 hours. Blew 2 belts, and 1 tire on the pull behind lawnmower. Got some trails cut too but could do another 7-8hours tomorrow if I wanted to. It the perfect time to cut the strangling dog vine so it won't grow back again this year. My place is covered with it, but I'm starting to notice areas I've been keeping cut for the past 9 years have none anymore. Feels like a win, until I look into the trees and the entire forest floor is blanketed with it. Everywhere .

Put a new primer bulb and fixed the string head on my stihl trimmer too, as i have a couple hours of cutting to do tomorrow.

Put the hammock up on the front porch and had a nap after I blew the 2nd belt and the mower wouldn't start again. Sometimes it's impossible to start when hot so you might as well let it cool down for 30 minutes and try again.

put together my Malelectrics arduino powered battery tab welder that I need to rebuild my bike's battery pack

practising on an old craft knife blade

and on an old li-ion

you can see some lower pulse time spots and the four higher pulse time spots that left the nickel strip behind when I tore it off.

I'll be getting some more practice in over the next few weeks until the new batteries arive.

I have turned my attention towards the headstock in my Deckel renovation project.

Following the manual, all the stop dogs and indicators were removed earlier so removing the cover strip on the front. Part of the bellows were removed earlier as well.

Next I loosened the screws and removed assembly 4 in the manual, the blindd tapered pins are stuck real well, I thought helped to have the screws loosened, did not want to budge otherwise. Slide hammer is required. Good thing they are M6 at least.

Then I can remove the screw assembly by backing it out and supporting it with one hand

Next I remove the tapered gib

A quick cleanup shows the gib to look mostly fine, there wear is highly localized to a few spots near the narrower end.

After that I can lift up on the headstock and slide it off.

Lifted off the headstock, I went with M10 bolts that I attached to the T-slots on the sides. I modified the bolts a little on the lathe, turned the top of the bolt heads flat by removing the lettering to make them fit the slot, a bit too thick otherwise. I also went in with a parting tool on the underside of the bolt heads because there was a ridge there, turned that down to increase the surface area of the bolt head acting against the inside of the T-slot. So four bolts, some big washers and some nuts and it was easy to remove. This shop crane is so useful. Especially after the modifications and the shorter support legs

Hmmm I mentioned a long time ago that I noted some strange sounds from inside the headstock when I moved it back and forth. Think this is a cause... No idea what it is yet, gonna see if the spare parts diagrams have anything to say.

Continuing...

Hmmm....

I believe the piece of sheet metal stuck under the headstock has some relation to this. Been looking through my parts list docs but have not been able to identify the part that is broken, it's probably a part of an assembly but the docs don't go into that level of detail. I think it's just a cover though and somehow it got trapped in the head stock behind the gear and got pulled off. According to the parts manual it's "Abstreifblech 2200 25 000376 00". I tried sending Franz singer in germany an email to see if they have spares.

Not sure where these are from, aluminum

Full of junk everywhere, I remove this whole part and dunk it in kerosene.

Cleaned up a little bit, wear can be seen on the front of the sliding surfaces.

I am noticing I am able to post more images than before. I almost feel this could warrant it's own thread but I would have to start from the beginning and I am not inclined to do that so this thread will do.

I posted the pictures of this build a while back so here is the video https://youtu.be/IxD2z7Apf9g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk