Page 419 of 431 FirstFirst ... 319369409417418419420421429 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,190 of 4309

Thread: What did you do today?

Made a small wine stopper rack for the house https://youtu.be/FOc1I9VeDPI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discovered something new that I'm really good at: using diamond plates (credit card sized ones) to turn a semi-sharp knife into a blunt knife. Go me!

Used my HF engine hoist to pull out 5 rose bushes for the Mrs.
    (Machining Content) Made a bracket from 1/4 x 1-1/4 angle iron to screw a 1/2 lag into the bush stump and attach the chain.
    Illigitimi non Carborundum
    9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade. Now I boil oil

Helped a neighbor move his mother and made a dump run for him after. Seems I very seldom go for my own stuff unless it's pruning time in the fall.
    While at the dump I spotted a really nice straight shaft Stihl weed trimmer. I picked it up an gave it a tug and the compression felt very good. That's all I needed to know before I rescued that dump orphan.

It was a bit dirty so I cleaned it up as I don't like opening up a dirty engine as I may introduce dirt where it doesn't belong. No sense taking the carb and muffler off to see what the cylinder and piston look like only to get a big dirt booger in the internals.
    Shortly after separating the engine cowling halves I find that it had been put together with the wire from the magneto that powers the ignition coil, pinched firmly between the two pieces of cowling. Time and vibration had completely severed the wire.
    A $270 Stihl, and rather than fix it, it ends up at the dump! That's three weed wackers, a leaf blower, a chainsaw, and a damn fine compressor I've rescued this year.

Thought I'd found that elusive bag of money earlier this year but the bag only contained soiled undies. Hey it was a very nice bag, how was I to know?
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

I decided to take apart the long reach head further after all.

I wanted to remove the front gear and gear assembly and shaft as well, the gear assembly on this is loud, I am not sure if that's normal or not, but it feels like it has a lot of backlash and maybe something loose. But the gear is stuck on really well and I do not have a gear puller that fits in behind the gear.

I note the plate behind the gear is round on this model, I have seen on a 60s era FP2 and this part has been remade to be triangular. I marked the position of the plate with a punch though, two small marks next to each other because it apparently matters which way it's set.

Started preparing these parts for painting, once the long reach head is disassembled I will also prepare it for painting.

Finished (hopefully!) renovating a Starrett level. That to be fair, implies a lot more required work than was actually the case. Needed a pair of 3/8" spanners - which arrived this morning - I only had metric. Also found I needed decent hollow-ground slot screwdriver (gunsmith's?)...so I took one I wasn't in love with and introduced it to the grinder. Cue a bang, screwdriver sucked down the (tiny, honest!) slit between the table and the wheel and a broken table. Could have been worse, the wheel didn't explode! Did 8t without the table - like I was going to take that for a final answer! And got the screw out without mangling it. All parts disassembled, de-rusted, cleaned up, oiled and calibrated. A whole lot more pleasant than trying to calibrate the import level I previously tried - you can tell because the van full of men hasn't turned up to take me away in a coat with sleeves that tied behind the back! Will now see if it stays calibrated....'cos the last one really didn't.

Next time, hold the screwdriver pointy end upwards rather then pointy end downwards. You are grinding on the flat of the blade and there is no danger of it getting grabbed by the wheel unless you trip over and try to stab the wheel with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post

Thought I'd found that elusive bag of money earlier this year but the bag only contained soiled undies. Hey it was a very nice bag, how was I to know?
    depending on what sex the undies are from, that can = a bag of money in some places.

Nice save on the Stihl, it's crazy what people throw out.

I watched a few various youtube videos and came across this one and I found one little portion of it (starting at 4:42) to be quite interesting in a what will they think of next sort of way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n8k0vq3wWs

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Next time, hold the screwdriver pointy end upwards rather then pointy end downwards. You are grinding on the flat of the blade and there is no danger of it getting grabbed by the wheel unless you trip over and try to stab the wheel with it.
    I'll try that next time. It seemed more dangerous that way in my head....but clearly my head was wrong!