Page 422 of 431 FirstFirst ... 322372412420421422423424 ... LastLast
Results 4,211 to 4,220 of 4309

Thread: What did you do today?

Quote Originally Posted by Cenedd View Post
    It's not silly at all. These sort of things you only do (I'm tarring the rest of you with the same brush as myself here...but I don't think I'm wrong) because you take pride in a job well done. But if the result isn't what you'd hoped for it's disheartening at a minimum. Worth the cost of the extra paint for a result that you're happy with....because regardless if everyone else thinks it's fantastic (and it looks it from here!) if YOU don't, it's worth nothing.
    +1 from me as well.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

[QUOTE=skunkworks;1246341]Need a tool.. Make one.. This was done with no coolant.. Tough random axle stock. Next one will have coolant on.

As you have discovered, axle stock can be some tough stuff. I have ruined several carbide bits on axles, before giving up on ever tryig to machinie one again

Lewis Grizzard

[QUOTE=Peter.;1246333]Yesterday my mate came round and we made a chuck backplate for his old lathe. It started out as an old drive wheel for a window cleaning cradle and a few hours later ended up a backplate with a 2.25" x 4tpi Whitworth thread turned in it.
    Nice job Peter!

Lewis Grizzard

Release the video where I did a couple of projects. The saw fixture for flat stock may interest some of the forum members. This lets me cut odd sizes of small flat stock on the horizontal band saw. This complements my round stock fixture https://youtu.be/94D-qm_uqjY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yesterday (I'm almost always late posting) I bought a new lawn mower. My poor old Lawnboy just refused to start anymore and it's only 36 years old. I'm thinking it has compression issues.

Beautiful work Peter and Dennis.

I chased some threads for a neighbour who's rebuilding a 60's pickup. The rear suspension kit he bought to install struts wouldn't thread together. First time I used a 3/4-16 tap that I have and he was pretty chuffed too.

Also got halfway through making a new poly-V pulley for my lathe motor. Hopefully finish it tomorrow.

Thanks! Today I took apart the vertical spindle:

The red stuff had me worried at first, but it's just old grease.

Fortunately it looks to be in good condition as I can tell. Spindle housing / outer race:

Spindle / inner race with the smaller cage removed

Close up of the cage after some quick cleaning

I would like to soak the cages in something like lacquer thinner but not sure if that could possibly do any harm. Kerosene is safer but I know from experience it wouldn't get it really clean. Diesel might work too, I think that should be fine with brass.

You don't have anything there that laquer thinners would hurt. It is all metal, isn't it?
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Nice job Peter!
    Thanks Dave (and Matt).

I ground the tool from a 8mm drill bit, since I couldn't find anything more suitable that would fit in my shop-made bar. I tested the end of the drill with a file and found it to be hard along it's whole length. Shame to wreck a good drill but it was in a very good cause. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the thread came out.

Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

What I did today- cleaned up a work table. Now that I can see the whole surface at once, I'm a bit repelled by the color and the texture. This is an old door that is kind of pastel blue and is weathered. I need to cover it with some mdf or hdf.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-