Page 1 of 92 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do today?

Hybrid View

Default What did you do today?

A thread to post up what you did today.

I installed ball bearings in my cross slide today. What a difference! I like it!

EDIT* Got the idea from Chart guy on MW.
    Last edited by vpt; 03-14-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Nice!
    Had been thinking of doing that for a long time as well, so it was a noticeable difference then?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea
    Nice!
    Had been thinking of doing that for a long time as well, so it was a noticeable difference then?

Yes! Very big difference! I had my cross slide all adjusted perfectly before the bearing install. After the bearing install the cross slide moved so effortlessly I was able to tighten down the gibs more which should help in the never ending battle of eliminating the random atlas chatter. I am so pleased with the results I am going out today to measure up the carriage handwheel shaft to get bearings and do the same mod. I just replaced the bushing for the handwheel a few months ago because it had some side to side slop in it. But now I see the light of bearings and want them everywhere! lol

Today as far as building stuff I may make a new cross slide nut. I already made a new screw and now have the bearings installed so the only thing left for the cross slide is the nut.

Some great stuff people built already in this thread! It makes my day to see things people have built or are working on. It also gives me great motivation.

The little tilt table now has the last part needed, table keys. Longways and crossways both, just in case I need both.

It's convenient that the mill table works with 3/8" keystock, just a little trimming needed, usually.

I also finished a wall plastering job I have needed to do for a year or three ....... no machining content on that one.

Last edited by J Tiers; 03-14-2010 at 08:40 PM.

I bought a Bridgeport two weeks ago so decided to put a heater in the garage since I'll be spending more time out there. I took a bunch of drywall off one wall in preparation for the plumber to run the gas line. Took the opportunity to hang a couple extra 220V and 110V outlets while the drywall was out of the way. The plumber came out to give a quote last week and, of course, he'll be running the gas line up the wall directly behind the Bridgeport. So I spent today replacing the drywall I'd torn out, moving the Bridgeport out of the way, and tearing out the drywall for the gas line. I also got the heater hung (ceiling mount, wasn't particularly pleasant) and ran the line for the thermostat. I'm still working up the nerve to cut a hole in the roof for the vent.

Guess I'll get more practice tramming the head when I move the mill back into its corner.

Sir John, Earl of Pubwater, I'm concerned- did you find your 50 pence?

This is what's nice about this forum. Ideas like this that can be applied to any other lathe. Another one for the'todo' list. VPT, what year is your lathe? Jim
    JIM : You don't get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression.

Single pointed my M24x1.5 spindle nut/hub adapters for a customer's car, then saw another customer's friends car to verify that the intake I'm building him pretty much has zero clearance and will be a PITA.

I also mounted my LCD monitor in the cnc mill and found a really long 25 pin serial cable for it at a surplus joint for 13 bucks.

Now I'm watching DIY network comedy of errors renovation shows with the fam.

I hunted for the dead mouse in my downstairs that's been stinking up my home, no thanks to my cat. He caught it, but likes to play with his food , and it escaped into my log walls. You did ask.

Helped my son work on his rifle.