Page 319 of 323 FirstFirst ... 219269309317318319320321 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,190 of 3225

Thread: What did you do today?

Quote Originally Posted by Fear View Post
    I've been looking for a fan cover for the Baldor 40hp
    A couple of dings I don't care about and drilled mounting holes and it fit nicely.

I'm getting there.
    Love it. Great preservation. That lid will out live you, just sayin.

40hp-3ph. Wow! You really are swing for the fences huh? I like it.

I thought I was a lil overboard with a "Fitch" design 5hp-3p and a 15hp american rotary unit. I was thinking about doing a full on three phase line going through my garage to have it everywhere but got lazy. It powers a small 4" lathe.

There is potential though

Oh, my 5hp does not have a fan and it powers a bridgeport mill just fine. No need to go overboard. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
    Love it. Great preservation. That lid will out live you, just sayin.

40hp-3ph. Wow! You really are swing for the fences huh? I like it.

I thought I was a lil overboard with a "Fitch" design 5hp-3p and a 15hp american rotary unit. I was thinking about doing a full on three phase line going through my garage to have it everywhere but got lazy. It powers a small 4" lathe.

There is potential though

Oh, my 5hp does not have a fan and it powers a bridgeport mill just fine. No need to go overboard. JR
    I've considered using 3 phase but decided against it after pricing what it would cost for the power company to bring the line in the 4 miles.

I am still unpacking, sorting, and figuring out how to store all the small stuff. I moved my shop in June and still haven't found everything. I did take some time to go dumpster diving for raw material.

In today's schadenfreude bulletin..... Idiot injures himself on a vise.
    Crush injury? Nope, sliced clean through thumbnail when tapping a G1/2 thread (BSPP - about 3/4”). Backing off the tap to break the chips and caught my thumb between the tap handle and the corner of the vice jaw. Normally have rubber-faced magnetic soft jaws on but needed the extra grip on this short 304 cylinder. Have taken a file to the jaws and knocked the corners down for the inevitable'next time'. Definitely Beer O'Clock!

finished my Dad's 70th birthday present

Matt, that's great! I guess that you're about the age to my son, I'd treasure that if i was your dad!

Default Model engineers meeting

I went to a meeting of the Mid Valley Model Engineers today. It was about an hour north of my home. A great bunch of guys! I'm a newbie there, our local group dwindled away with a few losing interest, and many more passing away.

What a surprise it was for me to remember the home and shop of Jim, the host of the day! about 55 years ago, my favorite uncle's best friend, George, lived at the very same home and shop. I was just a kid, and George built a new home and shop a couple blocks away after he retired. So, I visited both shops in my otherwise mis-spent youth. Uncle Cecil lived a couple miles away. These men were responsible for my addiction to the home shop lifestyle. Both have passed many years ago. I wish they were able to live much longer, and long enough to know that they passed along something very valueable to me. Rip Cecil and George.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Clarke View Post
    I went to a meeting of the Mid Valley Model Engineers today. It was about an hour north of my home. A great bunch of guys! I'm a newbie there, our local group dwindled away with a few losing interest, and many more passing away.

What a surprise it was for me to remember the home and shop of Jim, the host of the day! about 55 years ago, my favorite uncle's best friend, George, lived at the very same home and shop. I was just a kid, and George built a new home and shop a couple blocks away after he retired. So, I visited both shops in my otherwise mis-spent youth. Uncle Cecil lived a couple miles away. These men were responsible for my addiction to the home shop lifestyle. Both have passed many years ago. I wish they were able to live much longer, and long enough to know that they passed along something very valueable to me. Rip Cecil and George.
    Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. That must have been some eye opener going into the same driveway after all these years.
    Did you know beforehand that Jim's place was George's home before you went? Ironic that someone into the machining art still resides there, must be the magnetism.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

They must have been impressed when you told them of your earlier visits..

I had to install a Y fitting in a water line on the side of a mountain. It was pouring down rain the whole time. my wife and I did the whole job ourselves. Her role was to be the spotter for the pipe while I was running the excavator. She did great and kept me from destroying things in the hole. The problem was we were not exactly sure where the pipe was so we had to did around a bit to find it.

Once we found the pipe and I had enough excavated to be able to dig without a spotter she beat feet to the house! So I was alone on a Sunday afternoon in the mud. The Y fitting is so we can run a wire snake in the pipe to exactly locate it and mark it out accurately. Next week a surveyor will come with his accurate GPS equipment and we will capture the locations along a 800 meter pipe for future purposes incase the stone markers get disturbed by foresters working.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!