Page 440 of 450 FirstFirst ... 340390430438439440441442 ... LastLast
Results 4,391 to 4,400 of 4498

Thread: What did you do today?

A while back I broke a couple of teeth off the small gear end of my first South Bend lathe's backgears and ever since then I simply never used backgear. What a pita on certain jobs! Also quite a while back I acquired a second 9" SB and just last year started a very slow clean up of it. It also was suffering from the same malady as my first one and since I had it apart, I fixed it by having a friend braze it up and then I recut the missing teeth with a cheap but very adequate made in China gear cutter. Today I finally got teed off enough to swap the two backgear clusters.

When I had it apart I cleaned everything and oiled the bejeezus out of it which made the eccentrics move much easier, so much so that it would disengage from the force generated by the 14 1/20 pressure angle. I did a bit of research on the interweb and found I should have a bolt on the right hand side of the headstock that would press against a spring which would press against a brass plug which in turn would press against the side of that eccentric and the friction would stop the disengagement. A closer look (after I disassembled the backgear again) showed I had the bolt and the spring but no brass plug so I quickly made a small brass plug with a little tit on one end to center it on the spring. Long boring story short, I now have a working backgear!

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Not too bad for first try:

50/50 ordinary wheat and Spelt Wheat. Wifey and 6 year daughter have gone trough the large loaf already
    Now that is what bread should look like. Very satisfying. Butter???? JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
    A while back I broke a couple of teeth off the small gear end of my first South Bend lathe's backgears and ever since then I simply never used backgear. What a pita on certain jobs! Also quite a while back I acquired a second 9" SB and just last year started a very slow clean up of it. It also was suffering from the same malady as my first one and since I had it apart, I fixed it by having a friend braze it up and then I recut the missing teeth with a cheap but very adequate made in China gear cutter. Today I finally got teed off enough to swap the two backgear clusters.

When I had it apart I cleaned everything and oiled the bejeezus out of it which made the eccentrics move much easier, so much so that it would disengage from the force generated by the 14 1/20 pressure angle. I did a bit of research on the interweb and found I should have a bolt on the right hand side of the headstock that would press against a spring which would press against a brass plug which in turn would press against the side of that eccentric and the friction would stop the disengagement. A closer look (after I disassembled the backgear again) showed I had the bolt and the spring but no brass plug so I quickly made a small brass plug with a little tit on one end to center it on the spring. Long boring story short, I now have a working backgear!

What did you braze it with.

Plunger, my friend used a generic brazing rod that's good for a variety of metals but I don't know for sure what it was specifically but I suspect it was a brass rod.

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
    Now that is what bread should look like. Very satisfying. Butter???? JR
    Thanks. Yeah, best with only butter or amazing even just as is.
    Pure sourdough recipe and Spelt/Dinkel/hulled wheat seem to give it lots of taste and the texture/firmness is really nice. I hate soft bread but this needs real workout with jaws when eating!

And what did I do today? Baked my second set of sourdough:

man you are on a roll!

I turned in my bottles today at Sarcan and got my deposits back. C$425.

Picked the ripe peaches from our tree, removed a old trellis that the SHMBO wanted gone. Made 4 gallons of laundry soap and sat in the shade and hid from SHMBO.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
    I turned in my bottles today at Sarcan and got my deposits back. C$425.
    Holy cow!
    And I think I have a drinking problem when I turn in 25 bucks worth. LOL
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

I looked at my credit card balance today... For the next 10 months, no new toys for me!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk