Page 441 of 450 FirstFirst ... 341391431439440441442443 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,410 of 4498

Thread: What did you do today?

Not "machining" really but I made a couple fishing lures with the kids tonight. We really enjoy watching Marlingbaits channel on you tube, and they've been bugging me to make some for a while now so after dinner we headed down to the basement, grabbed a scrap chunk of 2x4 out of the kindling pile and started drawing. The loch ness monster is my Sons, the "goldfish" is my Daughters and the two lipless cranks are mine. They drew them out (I "consulted" and finalized in pen ), I cut them on the bandsaw and did some initial sanding on the belt sander, but they did the rest of the sanding/rasping/filing and corner rounding. They even twisted the line ties. I sealed them with crazy glue, and will pour some lead weight in the bottom tomorrow morning then seal again. Might have to wait until another day to paint them.

No idea how or if they'll work, but it's been fun so far. This has been a seat of the pants project....

Packed my first batch of parts for building fly fishing rods. These are just a decorative acrylic piece, bored out cylinder with a mortise, but the custom builders love them for a custom look. I'm working on improving my process to reduce my time per piece, as the guy who will be selling them for me is anticipating selling a good number of them. If the demand ends up being there I might need to start looking for a turret lathe to really start tuning them out.

update on the old case “rescue.”
    In brief:
    Free if u can get it out=case 310 w backhoe, sat 26 yrs
    Ether, jumpbox and a prayer
    Drove it out and onto trailer . The PO was 10y/o when his dad parked it. He was surprised
    to say the least!
    Got some blow-by but plenty of power
    Ran it 10 hrs straight this weekend digging 150’x48” very rocky waterline
    I’m still burning the original 26y/o diesel fuel, probably have to fuel it up tomorrow

Pulling it out

Last edited by plastikosmd; 08-17-2019 at 11:32 PM.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Quote Originally Posted by plastikosmd View Post
    sat 26 yrs
    Ether, jumpbox and a prayer
    Drove it out and onto trailer .
    That must have been some good praying you did there!
    Love the fact you got a whole day's digging out of the original fuel!

TomS: have you thought about a variant of those as replica light sabers? Bound to be a profitable market there!

I am finding the "will it start?" videos very interesting on Youtube.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Yesterday I picked up a truck load of Enerpac stuff... a lot new in boxes. All I really wanted was one electric 10,000 psi pump to drive my press (to avoid a zillion handle cranks for full stroke) but....

It was at a local airport. Watched a P40 and P51 take of together and the most beautiful restored Swift taxi by.

We had a 200kva Cummings Generator that sat for 13 years. Blew out the mice and spiders, new battery, lot of cranking, and it fired up. Smoke cleared in a couple of minutes and it ran like a champ. Even the old (2003) analog genset controller worked. Didn't meet current EPA Tier 3 or 4, so it went for "scrap" (or more likely to a farm somewhere...).

Got a new goose neck trailer. With the tool box in the truck bed I can't see the ball to connect the trailer so I decided to mount a camera to the tool box. I was concerned if I got a load of stone or whatever the camera or the camera wire could be damaged so I fabricated a metal conduit and camera protector. I welded a hinge on the protector that can flip down if I want to cover the camera.

The battery is just there temporarily to test and align the camera.

Installed after powder coat

Camera cover up

and down

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
    Got a new goose neck trailer. With the tool box in the truck bed I can't see the ball to connect the trailer so I decided to mount a camera to the tool box. I was concerned if I got a load of stone or whatever the camera or the camera wire could be damaged so I fabricated a metal conduit and camera protector. I welded a hinge on the protector that can flip down if I want to cover the camera.

The battery is just there temporarily to test and align the camera.

Installed after powder coat

Camera cover up

and down

Nice job Ridge that will be real handy,I have one on my Grain truck for backing up to auger there great.
    Is that camera a Cab Cam?

Pretty hot today. Official temperature - a record 99F. A bit hotter on my porch:

I had some badly rusted heavy duty steel shelf units, like this:

Wire brush and a bit of primer:

Some time later, more rusty shelves:

Partial assembly and black paint:

Pretty much done. Not very pretty, but I just need a heavy duty shelf for various materials, tools, and assorted stuff.

Time for a beer! My favorite liquor store has a shopping cart of various single beers for $1 each. Pretty good for Grolsch!

Mug was a freebie at an "Arrowfest" 10-15 years ago. Arrow distributors hosted a show with dozens of vendors giving away free samples, literature, and swag, and they also had an open bar and all sorts of hot and cold snacks.

https://www.arrow.com/en/research-and-events
    Seems they no longer have them.