Page 245 of 254 FirstFirst ... 145195235243244245246247 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,450 of 2540

Thread: What did you do today?

Finally got around to doing something about the glove box door of my Honda Odyssey. The door refuses to open and when the handle is pulled, and I have exercised great restraint in not snatching the sob out of the dash. I figured there had to be a way to release the latch, and after several minutes of poking a small screwdriver in the space between the lift tab and the door, I found the magic spot and it released. With the latch in place in the door it was impossible to examine, so out it came. .
    With it out and in my hand I saw this thing lying inside the mechanism:

The above bit of plastic was broken off Here:

The pin sticking up by the arrow is the fix. It replaces the broken off part. That little piece of plastic is what moves the latching bar when the handle is pulled up. Kind of flimsy imho. Luckily, there was enough meat in the part to allow it to be drilled and a brad stuck in it. So far it seems to be working ok. Sorry I didn't think of making pix until the job was done.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    Super car....Check! Logan sucks, always has been difficult. Take a taxi to the airport problem solved.
    Any Taco Bell’s over there? Or a good steak house or sea food? How far away from the ocean are you
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Any Taco Bell’s over there? Or a good steak house or sea food? How far away from the ocean are you
    If he is down by Switzerland as I recall he said, he's almost in the middle of europe.... closest ocean may be over by Genoa or Trieste, not too close. I expect the old Wienerwald restaurants are gone, they had decent chicken 50 years ago.....

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    No Taco Bells. Steak and Seafood......that is a check! Ocean is not real close but that is not a problem for you. You will be too busy to need the ocean or to think about Taco Bells.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    No Taco Bells. Steak and Seafood......that is a check! Ocean is not real close but that is not a problem for you. You will be too busy to need the ocean or to think about Taco Bells.
    I do my best work on a full stomach. Without that stuff, I’m liable to put labels on the wrong things. Or start digging small holes in your back yard and burrying your fasteners all over the place. It could get real ugly if I go into full blown Taco Bell withdrawls.
    Work hard play hard

Default Ran into a wall... 3D printing just 'aint holding water (or air)

Well... the run had to end sometime

Been having a lot of fun with 3D printing solutions to various things... kind of got used to the "draw it, print it, done" routine. But, this time... I just don't think it's going to work. Sigh...

I'm making a bottle rocket for my kid (and me). Just the pop bottle with fins, half full of water, and compressed air. Printed a bottle cap that leads to a 1/2" quick-release air fitting that I drew up. Printed a gasket out of TPE80 (the flexible stuff). Works well enough. Printed the fin holder. Drew and CNC milled the fins out of sign board too. Nose cone and separate top cap that sits on a ribbon to waffle the descent. Printed the contraption that adapts a bike brake caliper to release the air coupler, and that includes some tripod legs.

But, I wanted an adaptor from the tire valve to a 1/4" pipe thread. Drew it, easy enough as Fusion has the pipe thread built in. Printed it in nylon for strength and flex, being a pipe thread and all. Ran up the system for the first time and started working through the leaks. That last leak... it was going THROUGH this plastic adaptor. Right through the sides, all over. Didn't think of that. Did some research, found some slicer settings that were suppose to make things air tight... nope.

Might be because of that pipe thread going in. Maybe it's busting apart all the layers. Maybe it's just nylon. Don't know. But, it looks like I'm actually going to have to go to the store and buy some adaptors, or maybe spin something out of aluminium or brass on the lathe. Kind of feels like cheating at this point though

I guess 3D printers can't do everything,

David...
    Last edited by fixerdave; 01-09-2019 at 04:37 AM.

Received a set of 15 metric cobalt drill bits from AlieExpress, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6.5, 6, 5.5, 5, 4.5, 4, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, 2.0, 1.5 mm, $11.38. They look pretty good, but one or two of the smallest bits are not sharpened properly:

I also had a damaged 17/64" drill bit, made in Austria, from an old set I bought somewhere. I think I was using it to drill out a 10 mm bolt, and I had to use a cobalt drill bit instead:

I used my Drill Doctor to resharpen it. Seems really sharp, but who knows how hard it is. It might have gotten annealed when I tried to drill the bolt and it got hot enough to smoke. The markings don't say HSS, so maybe just carbon steel?

BTW, I am now using Firefox in Ubuntu, and I edited the photos using the Linux "Shotwell" photo viewer/editor. And I uploaded the images to the forum.

Well, they look good for the money Paul but you'll have to try them to find out whether they're real cobalt steel....or just blue cheese.

Fixerdave: Nice. If the bottle's cap can take the pressure and isn't nylon, it must be possible. Different material or maybe thicker walls? Yes, you can run something up on the lathe....but you know you'll always be curious!

Hanging shelves, glorious shelving!! Shelves Shelves Shelves Shelves!

Yesterday I used the crane i have modified and got the mill off the pallet.

I first lifted it both at the front and back so I could drag out the pallet, no pictures of that....

I lifted the mill as little as possible, a millimeter clearance perhaps. I pulled the pallet halfway out, stacked up a bunch of boards at the front and lowered it onto that. Then I lifted only the rear of the mill and removed the pallet completely, and put some boards there... Then it was lift at the front, remove board, lower... then lift the back, remove board, lower down. And keep on doing that until it was on the floor.

I could perhaps have just removed the pallet and lowered it to the floor at once but I felt this was safer. It's a lot scarier than you think to lift a machine like this for the first time, I got a real adrenaline rush from it.