Page 248 of 250 FirstFirst ... 148198238246247248249250 LastLast
Results 2,471 to 2,480 of 2493

Thread: What did you do today?

Picked up all the lights and related wiring stuff for the basement today. Going to finish the running and taping the heat runs for the furnace tomorrow, then get started on the lights. My buddy "might" come back and start running the return ducting, not sure yet. So nice to be over the "rip poorly done and stupid **** out" phase and on to the finishing part. Unexpectedly got the next 2 weeks off work, and there's not enough snow to go sledding so I'm gonna bust ass and knock out a bunch of the nagging projects I've been meaning to get around to for the past couple years.

Default What did you do today?

A friend of ours has a son who was severely injured in a motorcycle crash. The wheelchair she uses to help get him around had gotten loose on the joints where you are supposed to adjust the lean back of the back rest on the chair. The manufacturer of the chair was being difficult (long story, details are not relevant here) about servicing it or generally being helpful. I offered to take a look and found several issues:

- The holes that the Allen head bolts you see here are in an aluminum part and were mostly stripped. This prevented the bolts from tightening and staying tight.
    - Those little octagonal blocks with the off-center hole are supposed the be turned to set the angle of the back rest, which pivots at the bolt above. One was missing and the other original one was very loose and its edges worn due to the hole being worn oversized.

I drilled out what remained of the worn out threads and installed 1/4-20 stainless helicoils in the four holes. I then made two new octagonal plates, copying the one original except making them thicker so they should be a bit more secure and robust. They were a bit of an odd size so I had to make some appropriately sized hex stock out of some round 303 I had. Then I just parted off two slices and drilled the holes.

Delivered it all back this morning and got word that it makes a great deal of difference in the ease of transferring him in and out of his chair and generally getting around.
    Last edited by alanganes; 01-12-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Didn't do much more than a little more scraping on the current project, and a whole lot of shoveling 8+ inches of heavy wet snow from 2 driveways, 3 sidewalks, and 3 front walkways.... And run all over town trying to find a particular size of shelving unit for SWMBO (the online stocking info was seriously wrong...yes we checked that first).

Oh.... and modifying said shelving unit to fit where it was wanted, with shelves the right distance apart.....

Plus planning out the next shop project...doing another session of 3D CAD to work out details and find problems

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Dragged out my ratty 20 inch slip rolls today, cleaned up about 10 inches of the shaft to roll a tail section piece for a seat on an XS 650 I am working on.
    Turns out they are Brown Boggs rolls , but they were pretty beat up hard when I got them..... high School shop stuff , i bought at auction last century..

Today- I thought about lathes, deburred some parts I've been making, paid a few bills, went for a walk by the river, found a perfect condition 40 lb propane tank which I took home, and had a few drinks while listening to live music with friends. A good day. Tomorrow I try to fabricate some sheet aluminum into a fan unit housing.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Alanganes: Nice project for a good reason. Nice to have something like that you can trot out when asked to justify your shop....or maybe that's just my issue!

Well, the paint's dried so this is what I was up to yesterday. I bought a mag-base mounted LED torch with a gooseneck as a work light for the lathe. The shop lights aren't bad but they don't get into a bore and sometimes you just need more light when something's in shadow. Concept worked quite well but I then got some better torches which became even better when powered of 18650 cells. So I tried bending the clamp so it held the new torch but it just didn't cut it. Also found the mag base lacking if you wanted it on a vertical surface. I had a spare (cheap) mag base but it was an M8 thread instead of M6 so I turned this adapter as a larger version of the original:

Painted it to match - the screw is just to mask the threads and to be something to hold it by when spraying.

These are the original parts:

And this is my new upgraded version. Lapped the base of the mag base as it wasn't quite flat. Shiney-smooth may not be ideal but I didn't go that far and more contact area seems to be better than it was previously.

Just about got away with putting a 12mm spotface on the torch and then tapping the hole M6. There might have been as much as a whole thread's worth of meat left to tap - this was more seat-of-the-pants than thought out and planned - but it seems to be enough to hold it and some Loctite 638 seemed to do a nice job of locking the stud into the torch (not into the gooseneck). Wasn't sure it would set with only one thread but it's gone off like rock. If I were doing it again, I'd only put a narrow flat on for the gooseneck to seat against rather than a full spotface - wouldn't look quite as nice but there's be more threads to hold the stud securely.

Quote Originally Posted by bborr01 View Post
    Matt,

I'm looking to do pretty much the same thing in our kitchen to replace some 18" flourescents that I have as indirect lighting over some cabinets. Can you tell me what you used for components to build them?

Thanks, Brian
    for sure!

LED strip - this is worth the extra over cheaper offerings, really lovely warm white and good colour reproduction as far as I can tell. The cheaper strip ($3!) that I got has a much pinker hue.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...60e84c4dJpYxRd

dimmers
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-...60e84c4dJpYxRd

50W power supply
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

the large power supply runs all the lights bar the ones under the island that's in the picture in your post. Those run off a small 120VAC->12VDC/350mA LED driver - you can get those from all over the place. Or you can use a wall wart that puts out sufficient current at 12VDC. The strip consumes 6-8W per meter (2-3W/ft), so you can work it out that way.

I'd recommend sticking the LED strip to some alu sheet or strip, both to provide some heatsinking and also as it'll stick better to metal than it will to wood or paint. If you have any Qs feel free to shoot me a PM.

Checking the driven end of my snowblower's impeller shaft the other day I noticed it had a lot of play at the rear bearing behind the impeller. Upon closer examination I noticed that not only was the bearing toast, but due to the bearing being the type that can't be locked to the shaft it had also worn the shaft to the point it would need to be built up and turned down. Not something I wanted to do as it would require removal of the auger, gearbox, and impeller plus all of the remedial work to the shaft itself.

Gong through my collection of drive-line hardware I spotted a pillow block bearing of the right size that can be locked to the shaft with an eccentric collar, just what I needed plus there was just enough room to mount it between the two halves of the snowblower.
    The bonus is that it is also closer to the drive pulley than before and the bearing is substantially larger than the old one. It is definitely much better than new.

Now as long as I don't have to use it for a while I'll be happy.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Tonight I took out the shelving in the corner and installed three additional 64-bin units. I just need to install another light for the three new units.

Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Checking the driven end of my snowblower's impeller shaft the other day I noticed it had a lot of play at the rear bearing behind the impeller. Upon closer examination I noticed that not only was the bearing toast, but due to the bearing being the type that can't be locked to the shaft it had also worn the shaft to the point it would need to be built up and turned down. Not something I wanted to do as it would require removal of the auger, gearbox, and impeller plus all of the remedial work to the shaft itself.

Gong through my collection of drive-line hardware I spotted a pillow block bearing of the right size that can be locked to the shaft with an eccentric collar, just what I needed plus there was just enough room to mount it between the two halves of the snowblower.
    The bonus is that it is also closer to the drive pulley than before and the bearing is substantially larger than the old one. It is definitely much better than new.

Now as long as I don't have to use it for a while I'll be happy.
    Excellent!

We've only had 3-4 light frosts this entire season... Going to be some great snow blower deals in the spring.