Page 318 of 323 FirstFirst ... 218268308316317318319320 ... LastLast
Results 3,171 to 3,180 of 3224

Thread: What did you do today?

I've been looking for a fan cover for the Baldor 40hp I got to build my RPC for a few months now. A new one is a few hundred dollars, but only if you can find a dealer willing to order it for you. Might be part of the reason mine was missing it in the first place. I finally caught a break. I was at a local electric shop and asked the counter guys if he knew anyone that dealt in 3ph motors and he gave me the number for a dude located in the same town as me. This is wired because the town on my envelopes is the size of a postage stamp and there's no businesses in it to speak of. I called and told him what I needed and he said he'd get back with me. He then called back and said he wasn't having any luck with his suppliers willing to order a cover. He asked what the dimensions of this cover were. I told him and he called me back the next day and said he had a used one he'd give me for $50, it came off a different motor but should be easy to make work.

I got there and it turns out this dude rewinds motors and replaces well pumps but is so many miles back in the woods, I wondered if he had electricity. Like me he has the town on his address but lives way out in the woods. the narrow wooden bridge with no sides that I had to cross looked like something from the movie Evil Dead. It turns out the fan cover he had he had been using as a burn bucket of some sort. All the paint was long-gone and replaced with a thick layer of rust.

So I got to pull out a mini sandblaster I haven't used in 20 years along with a bucket of Black Diamond from TSC. Then spray-bombed it with primer and gold wheel paint from the auto parts place.

A couple of dings I don't care about and drilled mounting holes and it fit nicely.

I'm getting there.

Welded up a prototype water manifold for a gravel classifier,4" trunk with 2" branch lines and cleanout.

Turned up some slinger rings for a de-wattering centrifuge.The old ones were cast Aluminum,new are 6061-T6. 4-3/4" OD x 1-3/4" ID 1/2-13 stainless setscrews.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    I power tapped that one into the hole.

OK.... so?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Fear: nice. Looking a lot better. Oddly satisfying to see something that looked such junk to start with turn into something good.

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    Turned up some slinger rings for a de-wattering centrifuge.
    They look very nicely turned. Trying to work out how you did the smooth radius between the taper and the flat. Presumably you roughed in both and then finished with either a circular insert or radiused bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Cenedd View Post
    Fear: nice. Looking a lot better. Oddly satisfying to see something that looked such junk to start with turn into something good.

They look very nicely turned. Trying to work out how you did the smooth radius between the taper and the flat. Presumably you roughed in both and then finished with either a circular insert or radiused bit?
    Basically yes,I turned the minor OD step to dimension and length,then set up and turned the angled face with a 5/8" round insert for the cut.

Wow! Those slinger rings are just plain pretty and easy to look at.

Glad you're not building any more of those 25-cent carnival rides.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    OK.... so?
    Power crammed into the hole till it stopped and broke, wedged in good, work the extractor and she came right out. Gotta know how to use your tools.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    Wow! Those slinger rings are just plain pretty and easy to look at.

Glad you're not building any more of those 25-cent carnival rides.
    Hey them Carnival rides cost a $1 now old timer

Chris wanted a bracket to hold her necklaces in the bathroom. So I grabbed some aluminum and knocked out one. Here is my video showing it https://youtu.be/WYEC-83cgb4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    Power crammed into the hole till it stopped and broke, wedged in good, work the extractor and she came right out. Gotta know how to use your tools.
    OK, that was how the tap broke.... wasn't quite sure what the comment was pointed at....

Your good lock that it came out...... good on you! I am pretty sure if it was mine, it would have been in 3 interlocked pieces that jammed up in both directions.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan