Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Need a Woman in My Life ... or ... Pacemaker #3

Red face Why I Need a Woman in My Life ... or ... Pacemaker #3

Guys ... I don't know how it happened. I heard this machine was being parted out so I made an offer on the DRO. The seller told me I could have the whole thing for what I was willing to pay for the DRO (which was practically nothing) so I couldn't refuse.

I got it for way less than scrap value and all of the pieces except for the motor are there. Spindle runs smooth and the hardened ways still look great (under all the grime). This is a really awsome lathe. It makes my 1940's Pacemakers look like little kid toys.

Anyway, this is my next project - which means I won't start working on it for another two or three years, probably. But waiting in a barn for a restoration is way better than headed to the scrapper...

Last edited by Fasttrack; 03-14-2010 at 09:36 PM.

I all i could do was laugh when i saw this post. You are my hero!!

I might ride that like a cowboy if someone tried dropping it out of a plane.

Why were they parting it out?

With luck like that you should have went right out and bought a lotto ticket. Nice score, that is a beautiful lathe. Me sooo jealous.

ME

Damn Fasttrack, nice score!
    I'm happy for ya bud, and at the same time a little envious living as I do in a machine tool desert.
    Your darn lucky you've got a nice place to store all that iron. By the time you get out of college you can just hang up your shingle at the front door and open your machine tool dealership.
    Man...I've heard of guys being a babe magnet before, but you're just a big old magnet. All the iron just gets drawn into the force-field.

Awsome!
    wow thats one weird QCGB, I want pics of the inside of that if you ever crack it open! Never seen so many settings on one rotating shaft before

Im guessing the bottom levels are tumbler reverse, feed/threading.. And no idea what the last one is.. Metric/Imperial maybe? or high/low range perhapse.

Weird spindle nose

Love that awsome tailstock ram however.
    So how big is it? 14x40? estimated weight?

Thanks guys. I'm glad I've got some sympathetic ears to talk to. My friends here just don't understand my addiction.

Willy you may be in a machine tool desert but I'm in a babe desert. Wish I had the babe magnet (my university is 80% male It's not so bad though. The girls that go here say the odds are good but the goods are odd so as long as I keep my machine tool addiction secret I don't do too badly LOL)

Black Moons-

I plan on popping the cover off to take a look at the gear box. The bottom three levels are as follows: A-C selector D-E selector and Feed/Thread selector. The gear box is completely enclosed and has 66 different threads. To cut metric or other "exotic" threads, you have to change a few gears on the quadrant. I think only two, IIRC.

Anyway, there are 11 numbers on the dial. I'm not sure why, but you have to change the big dial to "OUT" and then shift the small dial to the desired number before returning the big dial to the same number. I need to investigate further...

This is a 14 by 30 machine but the US Army published a manual which puts the weight at 7900 lbs. This is an over-estimate for sure. ATW lists the older machines right around 5000 lbs. I expect these later models weigh around 6000 to 6500 lbs. The forklift has a 6000 lb capacity and it could just barely lift it up (and that is without the motor, cast iron belt and pedestal covers, etc)

The spindle nose isn't weird at all. In fact, I've got 7 different chucks that fit that spindle nose It's a L1 nose, IIRC. Anyway, they are very common for large machines of that era.

Jim -

The lathe was at ERI in Fort Wayne Indiana. They sell all kinds of industrial machines and I think they had planned on selling this machine but after having it sit around for a while with no interest, they were going to send it to the scrapper. The fellow from whom I purchased the machine bought it from them to part out. He robbed the taper attachment and the motor. We worked out a deal that would save this old girl from the furnace, though. He installed the TA and associated telescoping cross feed screw in his Pacemaker (a 16 by 54 and a real beauty) and gave me the screw from his lathe. So, I've basically just converted it to a non-TA unit. I've already got a Pacemaker with a TA so that didn't bother me.
    Last edited by Fasttrack; 03-14-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Default Setting the pace

Fasttrack.

When I read your post title "Why I Need a Woman in My Life ... or ... Pacemaker #3" I had to smile.

If you were "fortunate" enough to get a woman who demanded as much serious "fixing up" as that lathe, I'd not only be surprised that you were on your third "Pace-maker" but that you were still alive. But there may be better "ways to go" but I doubt that many here would argue about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacemaker_failure

Stick with the lathe!!!

Damn FT --- you sure like your iron big!
    from a glance that baby looks like she's got plenty of life left in her, really would be a shame to see it go to scrap - it got lucky when you came along -
    will be interesting to see what type of lady you end up with, She'll probably weigh in at just under 100lbs and make you sell all your heavy metal

Taper attachments are over rated anyway.

What size motor do those run? I seem to recall they're on the bigger side.

The number of levers/dials sounds in line with my geared head Voest. Does the ATW have metric and standard or just standard?