Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why I Need a Woman in My Life ... or ... Pacemaker #3

Quote Originally Posted by mlucek
    The lathe is probably less trouble then the aforementioned woman in the picture

And cheaper in the long run...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by BadDog
    Whoops, just realized I left out a decimal point. "15K" should have been "1.5k", my lathe only goes up to 2200 (as if anyone would think I actually meant 15k...).
    haha, i wondered about that....didn't want to be the net nanny but was thinking glad you're still with us

Wink sigh...

I am totally envious. I really loved that old Pacemaker at work. There is just something about a massive lathe with plenty of power. Just the sound of that 15hp motor "lighting off" made my pulse race. The clutch on that machine allowed you to ease up to a shoulder when threading, without any risk of a wreck. The "stick shift" was a handy way to change speeds and ranges. Taper attachments are great when you need one but that is extremely rare. You probably have one on one of your other Pacemakers if you need one. By having several, your tooling budget is a good bit less since you have enough chucks to go around. That is where things get costly. I bought a 12" Buck adjust tru with the L-1 back for our machine and it was over $2K. You have done a good thing by saving her. There are too many good old machines like this that are going away, never to return.
    Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Quote Originally Posted by mlucek
    The lathe is probably less trouble then the aforementioned woman in the picture

Oh, you have to remember, fun is always trouble. The trick is finding fun that is more fun than the trouble that comes out of it

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Stan
    I too am jealous. We had two 18" and two 25" (at least I think these were the sizes) Pacemakers in the shop on the USS Samuel Gompers. At the time they were 10 years old and had been sitting on a 5/16" thick steel deck which of course flexed with the sea. One could still hold plus or minus .0002" on pump shaft bearing journals made from K-monel.

Sweet machines.

I love hearing stories like that!

BadDog - Whew! I figured it must have been 1500 rpm but my eyes popped the first time I read that. I was trying to figure out what in the sam hell you have that turned an 8" chuck at 15000 rpm!

Scishopguy - It's funny to think that the chuck on the lathe cost more than the lathe itself did, ain't it? Like you said, I guess I'm lucky since I can share tooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrack
    BadDog - Whew! I figured it must have been 1500 rpm but my eyes popped the first time I read that. I was trying to figure out what in the sam hell you have that turned an 8" chuck at 15000 rpm!
    Funny how much trouble the simple omission (or misplacement) of a decimal point can cause. There is a reason that "order of magnitude" sounds like such a big deal.
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrack View Post
    Guys ... I don't know how it happened. I heard this machine was being parted out so I made an offer on the DRO. The seller told me I could have the whole thing for what I was willing to pay for the DRO (which was practically nothing) so I couldn't refuse.

I got it for way less than scrap value and all of the pieces except for the motor are there. Spindle runs smooth and the hardened ways still look great (under all the grime). This is a really awsome lathe. It makes my 1940's Pacemakers look like little kid toys.

Anyway, this is my next project - which means I won't start working on it for another two or three years, probably. But waiting in a barn for a restoration is way better than headed to the scrapper...

We haven't had enough iron lately! How is this project coming along? What size is that Pacemaker?

I have been jawing with Flylo about buying a Pacemaker. It's too big. I don't know how I'll move it, and I don't know where I'll store it...... But I may need to buy it to save it from the scrappers.

Btw, I applied the temp p-bucket fix, so your photos are visible for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    We haven't had enough iron lately! How is this project coming along? What size is that Pacemaker?

I have been jawing with Flylo about buying a Pacemaker. It's too big. I don't know how I'll move it, and I don't know where I'll store it...... But I may need to buy it to save it from the scrappers.

Btw, I applied the temp p-bucket fix, so your photos are visible for now.
    After 8 years, its either done or never going to be done

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You guys didn't hear the news? the kids got himself a woman now and the pacemakers been long melted down into tens of thousands of pandora bracelet charm trinkets ...

on the bright side he bartered with her and some of the charms are things like mini-chucks and gearing and such...

Quote Originally Posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
    After 8 years, its either done or never going to be done

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    oh don't be like that! It's just plain discouraging to all of us that plan to get around to it.