Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why I Need a Woman in My Life ... or ... Pacemaker #3

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    We haven't had enough iron lately! How is this project coming along? What size is that Pacemaker?

I have been jawing with Flylo about buying a Pacemaker. It's too big. I don't know how I'll move it, and I don't know where I'll store it...... But I may need to buy it to save it from the scrappers.

Btw, I applied the temp p-bucket fix, so your photos are visible for now.
    Strangely enough I can see the pics in your post but I can't see them in the original post and I do have the photobucket embed fix installed.

I saved the images on the forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
    Strangely enough I can see the pics in your post but I can't see them in the original post and I do have the photobucket embed fix installed.
    Same here, except I don't have the Photobucket fix installed.

What size do they call it & what year is it?
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    You guys didn't hear the news? the kids got himself a woman now and the pacemakers been long melted down into tens of thousands of pandora bracelet charm trinkets ...

on the bright side he bartered with her and some of the charms are things like mini-chucks and gearing and such...
    Had himself a woman, actually. My sisters' warned me but I didn't listen... she ended up shacking up with another fella. I won't be sorry to see the end of 2017 but it hasn't been all bad. I am finding I've got a lot more time and money for hobbies now, so that's good The bad news is that I've gotten into another hobby and I've got a pretty substantial backlog of machining projects, so this particular project is still under Kroil.

Quote Originally Posted by flylo View Post
    What size do they call it & what year is it?
    It's a 14" by 30", despite the fact it weighs about 1400 lbs more than my 1945 16" by 30". I'm not entirely sure of the year, but based on the design, I'm thinking early 60's. New enough for the rotary gear select but old enough to still have that nifty art deco headstock cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    We haven't had enough iron lately! How is this project coming along? What size is that Pacemaker?

I have been jawing with Flylo about buying a Pacemaker. It's too big. I don't know how I'll move it, and I don't know where I'll store it...... But I may need to buy it to save it from the scrappers.

Btw, I applied the temp p-bucket fix, so your photos are visible for now.
    Go for it! Pacemakers are pure joy to use and work on. I have a list of "dream lathes" to run (and possibly own!) - I've been fortunate enough to tick a lot of them off my list including HLV, 10EE, etc. and the Pacemaker is still one of my favorites. Even pretty beat up, they tend to be smooth and accurate, not quite like an HLV but pretty darn close. The big difference is the power and size! Moving them really isn't too bad if you invest in enough equipment to get is safely on top of some 4x6 runners. Then you can scoot it pretty much anywhere using pipe rollers ("Egyptian style") or just dragging if you can rig a suitably heavy duty anchor/pulley and have a truck or winch.

I've got a stack of machine tools that need attention still. Shortly after I acquired that lathe, I went off to grad school, followed by starting my own small business, getting married, moving twice, getting roped into a very demanding job, a major renovation project (as in house jacked off of foundation for starters) and more recently a divorce. So a lot of those projects are just sitting idle on my BIL's farm. I've got a great space for them but I told myself I was going to finish the house before running 3-phase for the shop and getting it set up... otherwise I would probably never finish the house. I've still got a lot of work left to do on the house, but there's starting to be light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe in a year or two I'll be setting up a proper machine shop. Until then, I still get to make some chips for work, which keeps me from getting too rusty!