Thread: Bison Chuck Grease..... Fact or Fiction ????

Default Bison Chuck Grease..... Fact or Fiction ????

Since I'm in the process of cleaning my lathe I figured it would be time to clean the chuck as well. I've removed the jaws several times to clean the chips out but never split the chuck to clean the back of the scroll or pinions. I always used a white lithium grease on the sliding jaws since what was in there from the factory resembles that. When I split the chuck open I found a black type grease inside. Wondering.... I called Bison tech. support. The guy told me they reccomend molybdnum graphite grease, and gave me thier part number, he also said any equivilent would suffice, not trying to push thier brand. OK, so since I have 5 Bison chucks in the shop I figured I would go with what they say. I ordered a .55 Lb. tub of thier stuff only to find out that it's now tan in color and not black. Is this still the same stuff or some improved type grease ?? If it was graphite I would think it would still be black. So I called Bison back and the guy went out to look at a tub and said thats the right stuff engineering must have changed it at some time. I looked at one of the chucks I recently bought a couple years ago and the grease looks to be tan in color, definatly not black. The chuck I pulled apart with the black grewase inside was made in 1995.

JL................

I suspect you are chasing some very diminishing returns. Just using any kind of lubrication, any oil or grease will get you 90 percent of the way there. Using either of the greases you discuss will probably get you to 99 percent. As for that final percent, there is no guarantee that the current recommendation is the absolute best. As you have discovered, they can and do change these recommendations. Keeping things clean is probably much more important than the final percent or even the final 10 percent. Use what you have and don’t worry so much.

Whatever you use should be in moderation, as you don’t want chips to get caught in there. Many have suggested that oil is better than grease for this reason. I do use a light coat of grease when I clean my chucks.

Now, let the nit-picking begin.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Paul, I believe you are absoloutly correct......... The Bison tech told me that the use of a different type of grease would not harm the chuck or cause premature wear, it may cause the need for a little more force of the key to achive the same gripping force as in thier stated specifications. Well I guess one could look at applying a little more force translates into a little more / faster wear !
    I wonder how many times they have changed thier reccomendations on greases since they have been making chucks ?? I'm sure it will change again when they think something better comes along.

JL..................

Any EP is good for gears under pressure, but you can't go wrong with moly. When your not using the through hole, a foam plug will help keep the cooties off the gears. Especially important with a chuck on an RT.

Any grease is better than none,I use graphite never-sieze which is just EP grease with graphite mixed in.It has one advantage,after the grease drys out it stays slick due to the graphite.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I use a black moly disk brake grease. Grease on the pinions and bearing journals, oil on the scroll, spin off the excess at high speed (into a "fender" made of aluminum roof flashing). Den

I was advised to clean the chucks completely and re build using white grease and that's always worked for me.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

we use this in all our chucks... CRC Moly-Graph, its a dark gray color

http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/cont...aspx?PN=SL3330
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. ..

Just mentioning this as a reminder and I don't know if this applies in your case: many greases, like motor oil, will turn black with use from the accumulation oxide particles.

Might explain why one grease is black and one isn't.

The old Bison grease was black in color. The newer stuff is tan.
    Didn't turn black frm oxidaation.

JL...............